Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening guys....i'm struggling with a problem with my recently acquired 156 (2002) which is giving me an ABS/ASR fault. If i drive with hardly touching the brakes it doesn't come on but if the pedal is pushed a normal amount down as soon as i release it i get the dreaded beeeeep!

At first i thought the pedal switch was a likely culprit but a scan with FES (cheers John!) showed up error C1460 brake pressure sensor fault.

I've done a bit of searching and i can't seem to find anybody else that's had this problem and it looks like the sensor on its own (it's attached to the ABS pump) is about 120 quid so i don't want to be changing it unless i really need to!

Any thoughts? Or has anybody got a spare abs pump (from a car with ASR) and/or pressure switch i could try??

M

·
0 Posts
No worries for scanning code for you.. Happy to help.

It's not an ASR one you need.... It's a VSD one??? IIRC FES had 3 options ABS 5.7, 5.7 with ASR and 5.7 with VSD and we connected to the VSD one (also VSD failure showed up on check panel).

Just thought I would mention it as I would have a very big guess there might be a diffrence in the ABS unit for a car with VSD (maybe all the later ones had VSD I aint a clue) just to make sure you get the right bit.

Is there not a fairly new breaker on here who has broken a fair few 156's italia something or other..

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummm - was it a VSD error? I thought it was ASR....i've had that many error messages and warning lights on the car i can't keep track :cheese:

I meant to add that the part number of the pump on the car is 46745936 0265225031 and the part number of the bosch pressure sensor is 0265005303

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
found this by searching
C1460 = Vehicle accelerometer power circuit failure
that points to abs sensor.......have u had a look at them, they pic up whele speed from a ring on the rear of hub

i had a abs/vdc/asr error when i damaged a sensor doing a hub swap

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spotted that earlier....had a wee poke about and couldn't see any obvious wiring problems but i'll do a more thorough check tomorrow (as long as there's no snow!)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aye, but the problem with obd codes is that a lot of them are generic and have different meanings for different cars but it does make me wonder! Only thing is that the warnings only come on when the brake pedal is pressed fairly hard, even when stationary where as a problem with a wheel speed sensor would normally happen as soon as you start moving.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well despite what fes told us it turned out to be the brake pedal switch! I guess it kinda figures as the abs ecu was maybe getting a different value from the pressure sensor compared to what it was expecting from the pedal switch....all sorted anyway :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Sorry to intrude on this thread but I wanna learn about VDC;

Do you remember what error details you were getting? No Signal, Low Signal, over value, etc. And the description in FES didn't suggest to check the brake pedal? If not maybe FES guys need to know.

I tried unplugging the pressure sensor and I got a "no signal". I got VDC issue but not this one, if you can help please check my thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/326977-c1266-abs-pump-motor-circuit-failure.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts