Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After failing in my attempts to get on the road this morning, I'd reversed back up to my house and I got a warning beep telling me both ABS and ASR systems had failed. Have switched ignition off and on a few times and left it for an hour before trying again and the alarms are still on.

From reading similar threads it could be battery or a loose connection, but what would the likely damage be if its neither or these? :(

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Have you driven the car since you first had the warning appear?
If not drive the car ,trying not to wheelspin,if there is no fault it should go back to normal.ABS units get "confused"in this weather with wheelspinning and throw up faults.:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could be either battery or just you wheelspan and wheels gave different readings.

Had this on my 147 the other day. Once I drove a mile or so with no spinning, the warnings went away :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
used to get it on my 147 along with other warnings but you will find it is just an alfa thing. it used to keep telling me at one time that the rear number plate light had failed but you would get out and look and it was working. it is just one of the little annoying things with alfas

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
used to get it on my 147 along with other warnings but you will find it is just an alfa thing. it used to keep telling me at one time that the rear number plate light had failed but you would get out and look and it was working. it is just one of the little annoying things with alfas
Yep

Had that one too :lol:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My son had this problem in his 147 over the weekend during the very cold weather (-8). The handbrake also froze.
Once the handbrake was released he drove to work and back. The warning lights stayed on but after having advice from here he carried on. After about 18 miles they went out.
On Monday he spoke to our local Alfa indy who advised that it was a common problem when the temperature is very low. He said that if the car drove ok and there were no changes in responses etc then it was fine.
Since then he has had no more problems! :thumbs:

Good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just to echo what's been said already on here - the system can get 'confused' with different signals and so shuts itself down.

It will reset after a period of time, though!

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
My ABS + EBD have been on and off during this snowy period. Excessive wheelspin causes the system to believe there is a fault. As others have said, it will sort itself out after some normal driving. :thumbs:

G

·
Got into the car the other day to go to work at 6am and had all the above,warning lights,frozen handbrake,the whole lot.Eventually got the car to move and after a few miles, all was good in the hood.Its all part of the character of Alfas.You gotta love em!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the car out this morning, went 200 yards up the road and all was well again :lol:

Cheers all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts