Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
anybody out there? please help before i set fire to my pride and joy!
abs and handbrake light on causing speedo to stop working.
intermittent though, comes an goes!! very frustrating. if its an abs
sensor how do i find which one? any help would be great
cheers :)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I would think you do have a wheel sensor problem or the ABS ECU is playing up, If your up for an hours drive then I can plug it in for you and find out which it is, for now though just rummage around behind the battery and make sure all the plugs are connected soundly. But.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked battery connections and all connections behind battery all ok. might take you up on offer if i cant solve it soon. didnt know abs had seperate ecu? thanks for quick reply!!!!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if the abs ecu/system is not working then the speedo will stop working ..... if only ONE sensor is faulty it will work of the other 3...so it'd seem to be a 'central' issue, check

1. fuses around the battery
2. fuses in the main panel near the drivers door
3. abs ecu is defective.

best to get the car diagnosed.

if you following the links in my signature you should get the info required to DIY

·
Registered
109 Posts
sears i seem to have this problem too. randomly happened today after filling up, no speedo and ABS and handbrake lights are on.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if the ABS symbol is illuminated then the speedo won;t work.

check fuses around the battery

G

·
If the sensors start to act strangely the ecu can stop the ecu transmitting to the speedo to force the driver to get it fixed but another mad one is using the space saver can sometimes cause this type issue well it doesnt affect the speedo end of it...

·
Registered
109 Posts
well for now the easy fix seemed to be removing the negative to the battery. It cleared the fault light and lets the speedo work again... bit daft, but does tell me that is isnt a fuse or a connector that has come off as people have suggested. I did change the front discs not that long ago so this may have disturbed something

who knows, just see if it comes back now i guess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts