Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help. I drive a selespeed and a while ago i started getting above warning messages. There is nothing wrong with the brakes but this is becomming a problem. Before you can start the car you have to step on the brake as you selespeed owners will know. Now sometimes the car wont start. I think its because the car cant register that the brake is being stepped on. Now this is a problem. I dont want to take itn to Alfa because i know it will cost me an arm and it is probably just something small. If someone had the same problem and a possible solution please let me know.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
First thing to check would be the battery and battery connections, also the brake peddle sensor has been known (on here) to be the problem, try disconnecting it and reconnecting it (don't personally know where it is but if you do a search this is a fairly common problem..)

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
As Chris said, a poor battery is usually the reason behind these issues.

You don't need a foot on the brake to start, but it does need to be in Neutral. Assuming you have left it in 1st gear you will need a foot on the brake (so the system can select Neutral) and then start.

I always manually select Neutral before starting.

It could be you have a problem with the brake switch.

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
Not 100% sure.
I expect it is near the top of the brake pedal.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
in general it is wise always to put (selespeed) car in neutral before turning of the engine. If a problem with battery/relay/pump arises , the car can be towed or pushed out of the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have located this brake switch, just above brake pedal. I have removed it and checked everything, put it back but still get warning messages. I have read somewhere about a spacer that Alfa installs to rectify this problem. Please if anyone knows what I am talking about please let me know

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Have you tried starting it in Neutral as David C recommends? also have you tried a new battery yet?

(never heard of the spacer ... but then I don't have a sele)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car starts in neutral no problem but as soon as i start using the brake the warning-lights come on. I definetly think it has something to do with the brake switch. I have tested the battery and it is fine. I am just wondering. If a situation occurs and I have to brake hard does it mean that my ABS is not gonna work? That can be dangerous if thats the case.

·
Registered
30,291 Posts
I am just wondering. If a situation occurs and I have to brake hard does it mean that my ABS is not gonna work?
I don't think the ABS uses the pedal switch.

Very easy for you to test the ABS yourself though.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
All my ABS and ESP warnings went away with a new battery. Try a new battery first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This also happened to me this morning in my 156 jtd. The ABS system failure alarm came on but the brakes are working fine.
I'm hoping that as the brake are still ok, it will just be a switch/electrical issue.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The car starts in neutral no problem but as soon as i start using the brake the warning-lights come on. I definetly think it has something to do with the brake switch. I have tested the battery and it is fine. I am just wondering. If a situation occurs and I have to brake hard does it mean that my ABS is not gonna work? That can be dangerous if thats the case.

When you say "using the brake" do you mean at all times or just when you start the car? ... and how did we ever manage before cars had ABS ;) ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
It does it randomly. I just came back from work and no warning lights. This is driving me nuts.
In which case it is a dodgy connection (just like my BOSE system at the moment ... although I've managed to find out where the dodgy connection is by fiddling with some wires ...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts