Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we bought an 05 plate Alfa 147 Lusso with 39000 on the clock. 11 days later, the abs and asr lights were intermittently lighting. They are now on constantly. We've taken car to local garage who said the diagnostic code says fault realtes to abs pump. Mechanic is a mate who advised that this code could be the abs pump or possibly the ABS ECU which is such a big job, he said to reject the car and ask for a refund - anyone had similar problems? Used car dealer is refusing to accept any responsibility so car is sitting in the street unused...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I don't think used car traders and act like this, I believe it is illegal under the sales of goods and services act ... best contact trading standards and see what can be done ... (make sure you record all communication between yourself and the seller)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
sometimes the fault can be caused by either a bad battery (low voltage), or a bad fuse. the fuse is one of the 'midi' ones in the housing atop the POS battery terminal.

this pic is from my GT, but i presume yours is similar. the BLUE MIDI fuse is the usual culprit: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/18995515/305720608.jpg

could be worth changing the fuse.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think we're at the stage we need to leave it as it is and try to reject it for a refund - which breaks my boyfriend's heart as he totally LOVES this car. We've been quoted £2000 for an ECU repair with new Alfa parts & labour...anyone had to pay for a new ECU? The dealer said that was nonsense that we'd get one from a "breakers" for £200. My brother did point out we wouldn't want to put a £200 part from a scrappies on a 3 year old car - he said "what do you expect for a £5000 car". Eh, one that we can drive safely I thought??? He said ABS wasn't necessary to be road worthy, like Airbags, it's just an accessory - I thought the car wouldn't pass the MOT with the ABS warning light lit? doesn't that mean it's not roadworthy? The dealer has really annoyed me yesterday though becuase when we went to discuss it, he wouldn't talk to me, turned his chair away and would only speak to the males!

N

·
0 Posts
You can drive the car without the ASR or ABS systems,
just so long as you are aware and drive accordingly.

As shiny_car says, it could be something as simple as a duff
battery or wonky fuse.

But as it's only 11 days since you bought it, I'd take the car back
and kick up a real stink to get a refund or get them to fix the problem at their cost.

Don't be afraid to get trading standards onto them asap
either.

;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we already contacted trading standards -they said we had to exhaust all resolutions (hard to do when the trader won't even converse with a woman!) then send a recorded delivery letter saying we are rejecting the car. He said yesterday that he's been around for 20 years so he's happy for us to pursue legal channels becuase he isn't going anywhere. He seemed so sure of himself, I started to doubt how important the abs was - but other websites suggest that it wouldnt pass the MOT without it working if fitted. Why should we face the repair costs?:mad: Can't face driving it, too nervous now. will need to go to alfa franchise to ask for an inspection report from them on potential costs as back up for court case.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Yes pretty sure you won't pass an MOT with the ABS light on ...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The car will not pass an MOT if the ABS light is on.
(2)

you have more rights if you bought from a trader with no warranty (as some warranties are little more than clever wording not to pay out for much)

You need to tell the dealer that you understand your rights as a consumer (you need to know them yourself first too) and explain that he does need to take some responsibilty...

It is a few years old - 3-4? but has done low mileage, so a reasonable settlement would be that he pays a large percentage of the bll to fix, say 75%, the typical labour payout is 30 odd quid per hour, if the garage charges more than this you pay the rest yourself.
You may not be able to claim back diagnosis, and if it turns out to be an abs sensor, which is a wear and tear item, then don't expect too much at all.

But thats typically what should happen with a fair trader.
And a fair trader may ask you to select another car from his forcourt and settle on any monetry differences should the 147 repair bill seem excessive.

Trading standards will take a fair view, for every bad trader theres probably 10 bad consumers trying to screw money, they will take a stand of whats fair wear and tear considering its age, mileage and market value - which is why you can only really expect a percentage of the repair bill to be paid.

Start by asking if the car was sold with any warranty or if you are covered on the sandard sale of goods act -

look here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/your_rights/car.shtml

·
Registered
169 Posts
sometimes the fault can be caused by either a bad battery (low voltage), or a bad fuse. the fuse is one of the 'midi' ones in the housing atop the POS battery terminal.

this pic is from my GT, but i presume yours is similar. the BLUE MIDI fuse is the usual culprit: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/18995515/305720608.jpg

could be worth changing the fuse.

:)
Hello Shiny_car. How can you know or notice the midi fuse is blown or not working?
Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts