Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Having previously owned a 916 Spider and regretted the day I had to sell it 3 years ago ever since, I'm looking to quench my Alfa withdrawal symptoms with a Brera.

I'm fairly new to the model, having read around the buyers guides etc on here.

Anyone have any thoughts on this particular model, particulary in regards to the value of the car and what I should be looking to get the price down to?

Used ALFA ROMEO BRERA COUPE 2.2 JTS SV 3DR for sale in Rutherglen, Lanarkshire
Cheers

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I can only comment on a 159 (similar enough) I love it as much as the 916 we have. Different cars (916 is a Spider :D) but fabulous.
The 159 is far better put together in ever respect compared to the 916.
Brera's are just a little tight in the rear :lol:.

I suspect there is a buyers guide on here somewhere but there will be one on AlfaWorkshop.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Personally I think it's a little overpriced, especially not being the facelift model. Saying that i paid £11,750 for my 2007 model with 42k on it in 2010 and still love it to bits

It'd be interesting to see whether or not the previous owner had the Cam belt done?? Although it states 90k, the car is now 7 yrs old, I had mine done at 72k.

Wheels are a pain in the butt to clean, but you can give yourself a pat on the back as car looks fab when done :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Its a petrol so doesnt have a timing belt.

The timing chains do give problems with slightly stretching which brings on the engine fult lignt, this issue has been put down to the very long oil change intervals so if you did buy it you would be wise to have the oil and filter changed every 8 to 10 k rather than the recomended 18 or 21k.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
of course ... silly me :yes:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Check for the low-rev hesitation that possible on the 2.2:

Drive round a car park at low speed in 1st, using only the throttle to speed up/slow down.
If you need to use the clutch then that's an indication of the hesitation.

Then ask for a 500 quid price drop to cover a remap.

;)

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Check for the low-rev hesitation that possible on the 2.2:

Drive round a car park at low speed in 1st, using only the throttle to speed up/slow down.
If you need to use the clutch then that's an indication of the hesitation.

Then ask for a 500 quid price drop to cover a remap.

;)
The vast majority seem to come with the hesitation as standard - you learn to drive around it after a few weeks.
Or as T4N says, get it remapped.
Not all remaps seem to get rid of it, but I hear Alfatune's is a good one.

The ad says it's a 2009 which seems odd when it's got the old interior.
The price seems a little high for a first generation model, then again it does have a very low mileage.

I had a (916) GTV and went to a (Brera) Spider. The Spider feels big and heavy in comparison, and is less fun.
However, it looks absolutely stunning inside and out, and feels well screwed together.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Could be an import then registered in 2009 in the UK. Australia, South Africa, Japan & other countries have right hand drive where they didn't sell very well with left over stock, dealers got them for cheap in the Global economic crash

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Could be an import then registered in 2009 in the UK. Australia, South Africa, Japan & other countries have right hand drive where they didn't sell very well with left over stock, dealers got them for cheap in the Global economic crash
It wouldn't surprise me if the dealer's trying it on, in a bid to make a bit more dosh.
It'd be my first question, and I'd scrutinise the log book and everything else when viewing.
Cynical when it comes to car dealers? Oh yes! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Check the windscreen wipers to see if they aren't catching on the bonnet.

Some people overfill the boot and damage the rear windscreen heater/aerial elements. Check the reception and elements as its £300 to fix it.

Make sure the front seats don't squeak or move around.

I was considering buying a new car, but every time I look at my Brera I know that any new car in my price range won't put a smile on my face every time I look at it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I may not be much help because the Brera I bought 14 months ago is a diesel. I bought the diesel for two reasons, I wanted reasonable economy and performance. The 2.2 did not offer the performance and the V6 is just too thirsty.
My history of Alfa's is varied and the one prior to the Brera was a 156 2.0JTS, great car. The Brera I bought had nearly 100k on it and it has been a great car so far, different to the 156, heavier, not as nimble but well built and very solid on the road. I bought it without having driven one before, and believe me you will not be dissappointed. Get a good remap and it will perk up the engine and make it more drivable. Buy and enjoy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a Brera in the same colour and love it. Stone chip damage around the rear arches looks bad at that price I would expect that to be sorted properly. All Breras suffer from it. It is probably one of the very last SV models sold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts