Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests, I'm about to get myself into 159 ownership. The car selected is a Distinctive spec (I think in UK it would be one below Lusso) 200hp 2.4 QTronic which comes with leather and all the decent toys bringing it up close to a Selective/Lusso spec. It's a 2007 reg with relatively low kms (119k) and one owner who never thrashed it so its had to have a complete EGR, injectors, etc., overhaul. They are confirming timing and w/pump and if it hasnt been done, will do it prior to hand over (official dealer in Malaga giving a year waranty).

My first go at diesel ownership was with the wife's Mondeo IV (140 TDCi) and owing to rising fuel prices and new weekly travel needs (around 300kms weekly) my daily transport combo, motorbike/164 is no good so it's an oil burner for me too. And what an oil burner!

Gear changes are smooth, engine pulls strong and apart from horrible tractor noises at idle and low down (used to a V6 remember), once it moves it's smooth as silk and has no weird symptoms other than a 'feeling' that it needs to be thrashed a bit to finish the overhaul they've given it. Interior is clean, some minor signs of wear, has all the basic toys; comfort pack (I think it's called that) leather, B&M, bixenon, etc.

The car is reserved at the moment pending final negotiation but I am pretty much committed. So prior to making payment, any suggestions, things I should look out for will be appreciated. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Reading up in the forum also my next question prior to purchase will be if they cleaned or replaced the EGR with a furbished or a new part... At least I started it up from cold and got good idle. Didn't notice plumes of black smoke either... Yep, it looks like I'm more than committed now! :D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My eyes hurt! Reading up plenty of horror stories just about all related to the EGR, DPF etc. Good news is they confirm the EGR was replaced for a new part, injectors have all been cleaned and reprogrammed so it will be delivered nice and clean hopefully. It needs to get its 120k service including timing if it hasn't been done recently and then an MOT. Well and truly committed now. Well chuffed!

Pic of the beasty in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the deed is done. I've just put a deposit down on it so this afternoon it goes in for its 120k km service. They tell me about a week so hopefully next week I will be adding a 159 to my longish list of Alfa's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts