Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Competizione Red need direct sunlight to look bright red? From the times I've seen this colour (when its been cloudy) it looks more like a burgundy. I was expecting it to look more like the 8C Competizione Red I've seen on the Giulietta, but this paint looks different.

The configurator suggests that the Competizione Red is brighter than the Alfa Red, but having seen the Alfa Red, I would say the opposite is true.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,139 Posts
I'd say its darker than Alfa Red, there was a QV in Competizione Red in my dealer when I popped in yesterday, I suspect it may react to sunlight the same way the MC blue does.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Its defo darker, but on a sunny day it sparkles wildly. I chose it over the Alfa red mainly because of the old theory about brochure cars. "Always buy in the colour they show in the magazines and brochures", so they say. I'm unlikely to be disappointed and I'm hoping it's more durable than the Alfa red paint that was on my missus Brera SV6. That needed a full paint job after 18 months and 10k miles.

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its defo darker, but on a sunny day it sparkles wildly. I chose it over the Alfa red mainly because of the old theory about brochure cars. "Always buy in the colour they show in the magazines and brochures", so they say. I'm unlikely to be disappointed and I'm hoping it's more durable than the Alfa red paint that was on my missus Brera SV6. That needed a full paint job after 18 months and 10k miles.
Never heard about buying the colour from the brochure. What's all that about?

Why did you need the respray on the Brera? Stone chips or fading?

My Mito is Alfa Red but I've managed to keep it immaculate, through regular detailing.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Never heard about buying the colour from the brochure. What's all that about?

Why did you need the respray on the Brera? Stone chips or fading?

My Mito is Alfa Red but I've managed to keep it immaculate, through regular detailing.
Stone chipped really easily. Paint came off when washing it. Generally just really thin. At the time it was a known issue.

The brochure thing is just something I've heard from dealers and people in marketing.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,139 Posts
Gaz, Breras and 159 in Alfa Red suffered badly with stone chipping. I had 75% respray under warranty on the 159, I paid to have the bonnet repainted on the Brera when I got it for stone chipping.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Does the Competizione Red need direct sunlight to look bright red? From the times I've seen this colour (when its been cloudy) it looks more like a burgundy. I was expecting it to look more like the 8C Competizione Red I've seen on the Giulietta, but this paint looks different.

The configurator suggests that the Competizione Red is brighter than the Alfa Red, but having seen the Alfa Red, I would say the opposite is true.
If is the same as on the Giulietta then it changes depending on how the light strikes it. On some mornings parts of mine can look almost Orange & in the dusk it's more of a plum colour. It definitely needs the direct sunlight to look the proper bright Red.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The Giulia's Competizione is definitely darker than the Giulietta's. Had my 8C Red GQV near to the GQF at the dealer and they looked completely different. Have to say, I wasn't that impressed with the new colour. It didn't "pop" the way the Giulietta does, even under showroom lighting.

Reactions: cloverleaf159
1 - 8 of 8 Posts