Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering personalised number plates for my recently acquired 2017 Quadrifoglio. I want to get the 'Q' in there but I'm getting mixed messages about whether the Giulia Quadrifoglio should be abbreviated to Q, QV or QF. Can anyone outline the Alfa conventions for this? Does it differ between countries? It seems they call it the QV in Italy, but in Australia it's just Q.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm considering personalised number plates for my recently acquired 2017 Quadrifoglio. I want to get the 'Q' in there but I'm getting mixed messages about whether the Giulia Quadrifoglio should be abbreviated to Q, QV or QF. Can anyone outline the Alfa conventions for this? Does it differ between countries? It seems they call it the QV in Italy, but in Australia it's just Q.

QV. No question. Quadrifoglio Verde. QV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Giulia Quadrifoglio is called just that.

Not the Quadrifoglio Verde, as with previous Alfa models like the Giulietta.

As the ‘verde’ was dropped with the Giulia, ‘QV’ no longer made sense.

I suspect ‘QF’ comes from the fact that ‘Quadrifoglio’, whilst a single Italian word, is also an amalgamation of two Italian words ‘quadri’ and ‘foglio’.

Some argue that as ‘Quadrifoglio’ is a single word, it should be referred to as a ‘Q’.

Personally I call my car a QF or a Quad.

Just go with whatever feels right for you!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Q2- quadrifoglio due
Q4- quadrifoglio quattro
Quadrifoglio Oro (luxury)
Quadrifoglio Verde (quick)
Think QV is the only abbreviation (in the context of this thread) that makes sense.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Q2- quadrifoglio due
Q4- quadrifoglio quattro
Quadrifoglio Oro (luxury)
Quadrifoglio Verde (quick)
Think QV is the only abbreviation (in the context of this thread) that makes sense.

I don’t follow?

‘Verde’ means green. It has nothing to do with ‘quick’.

Alfa dropped this with the Giulia. Presumably to simplify the name - Giulia Quadrifoglio.

So ‘QV’ doesn’t make sense as a reference to this car.

You could argue the Quadrifoglio remains green so there is no harm in adding ‘Verde’ on the end?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don’t follow?

‘Verde’ means green. It has nothing to do with ‘quick’.

Alfa dropped this with the Giulia. Presumably to simplify the name - Giulia Quadrifoglio.

So ‘QV’ doesn’t make sense as a reference to this car.

You could argue the Quadrifoglio remains green so there is no harm in adding ‘Verde’ on the end?

I know verde means green. The point was that Alfa have used those 4 different variations of quadrifoglio - with the green one being used to denote a quicker car (based on the badge used on the racing cars of old).

·
Registered
441 Posts
The quadrifoglio oro was the Gold Cloverleaf- and these were more luxurious versions (rather than quicker).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Unlucky.
The letter Q isn't issued mainly because of it's similarity to the number 0 and letter O.
The exception is the "Dreaded Q Plate" issued to cars of indeterminate pedigree - kit cars of old (although that system has now changed) or cars where the identity can't be proven - stolen/recovered with chassis and engine numbers removed. The plates are issued to the vehicles and are non-transferrable. And Swansea don't issue them as cherished plates either.
The only way around it is the illegal way - get an O or 0 in the right place and use securing bolts strategically placed and hope you don't get caught doing it.
Guy

·
Registered
526 Posts
I know verde means green. The point was that Alfa have used those 4 different variations of quadrifoglio - with the green one being used to denote a quicker car (based on the badge used on the racing cars of old).

Alfa made a conscious decision to drop the ‘Verde’ with the Giulia.

The previous cars you refer to were officially called ‘Quadrifoglio Verde’ by Alfa. The Giulia isn’t.

It would have been a lot easier for everyone if they hadn’t changed it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
The back of a Giulia Veloce has a Q2 badge, so just Q is out, in my book. I’d still go with QV because that’s the colour of the cloverleaf on your badge, though the QF is probably the more current nomenclature. How’s that for sitting on the fence?

·
Registered
526 Posts
The back of a Giulia Veloces has a Q2 badge, so just Q is out, in my book. I’d still go with QV because that’s the colour of the cloverleaf on your badge, though the QF is probably the more current nomenclature. How’s that for sitting on the fence?

I think ‘Quad’ is the only non-contentious abbreviation.

·
Registered
441 Posts
But that could apply to the Veloce Q2 ( Quadrifoglio Due)!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think we abbreviate it to “The quadrifoglio with the green badge that goes quite a bit quicker than the ones without the green badge unless you’ve bought yourself some green stickers. “

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’m sure your average BMW driver will be thinking “I wonder if that’s a Q or a QF or maybe even Q4- oh no the Q4 Q would be the Stelvio and that’s a QV with Q4 which would be QVQ4.., a bit like the 4 wheel drive 164 QV.”

To be fair- your car looks absolutely amazing. Fair play- game over. I concede. Looks like a real QV. eBay tail pipes and stickers?

Reactions: danieldvblue
1 - 20 of 52 Posts