Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo,

There's an Alfa 156's near where I live that hasn't moved for over a year. Its on private land and untaxed.

Is there any way of finding out if its owned (I'm sure it must be) and by whom?

Reason being, it looks great but I imagine has serious mech issues, and in my opinion should either be fixed or used as a donor car.

If a car is on private land, does it have to be SORNed? If it isn't, is it up for grabs, etc??

[If I knew where the owner of this car lived I wouldn't be asking this question]

Thanks in adv.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
If a car is on private land, does it have to be SORNed?
Yes. The "OR" of "SORN" is for "off road".
A SORN car can't be on the road, so has to be on private land.
So yes it should either be taxed, SORN'd, or declared scrapped.

If it isn't, is it up for grabs
Unlikely!
It will still be registered to someone.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Unless you can trace the owner, don't bother. People have claimed supposedly abandoned cars, restored them and then the owner has re-appeared to reclaim the vehicle.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey I had same situation about a year ago, I saw this left hand drive Alfa 164 V6 auto in white on foulness island. I really wanted it as it was just abandoned for about a year. Turns out it was the near by farmers and it had gone by the time I had courage to ask about it.

Point is, try and knock on nearest house and find out who it belongs to or as mentioned stick a note on the car with yer number

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Note:

This car has been sadly neglected. If you don't call this number within 48 hours I am helping myself to it.

Call 07766191823

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
My Note:

This car has been sadly neglected. If you don't call this number within 48 hours I am helping myself to it.

Call 07766191823

Many Thanks.
If you had written that and posted it on my car I would ignore it out of spite.

Why not try....

Hi, this might be a bit odd, but I have noticed this car has been here for a while and wondered if you would be interested in selling it to me?

Regards

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Yes I don't think you've gone for the most tactful way of expressing an interest.

Lets hope you dont get a job with the Samaritans...:lol:

·
Registered
586 Posts
My Note:

Call 07766191823

Many Thanks.
Subtle as a sledgehammer, I'd check the legalities of your statement first!

Its still some one's property, regardless the allotted time allowed by your good self.

If you had left that note on my car, I'd ignored you allowing you to "help yourself" to her, followed by a polite visit from the Rossers!

GTA anyone??

Grand Theft Auto:cheese:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, I was only joking

*facepalm*

I think a polite enquiry is the way to go...

If you are interested in selling this car call me, etc

Thanks for your contributions ;-)

·
Registered
963 Posts
You could always report it to your local council as an abandoned vehicle and watch out for someone fitting a notice - you will need to be quick as some unscrupulous breakers often carry out a "free uplift" as soon as they see a removal notice!

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
If its on private land most councils won't be interested - although they "can" obtain jurisdiction in such cases, they won't usually bother.......I used to remove many abandoned vehicles for my local councils (in the days before scrap had a value), so I know......

Likelihood is that someone nearby (and someone with "connections") owns it, otherwise the local pikeys would have had it away long ago.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trying to find the best way to post this report of an abandoned red 156 2 ltr twin spark. It has been abandoned at a local garage and the garage owner is keen to get in touch with the owner of the car. Am I allowed to disclose the reg number, which I have? If yes then I will and maybe someone in the club might know of or recognise it. It has a large wing on the boot but otherwise looks standard and has a broken cambelt - apparently. It seems a rather sad story.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Trying to find the best way to post this report of an abandoned red 156 2 ltr twin spark. It has been abandoned at a local garage and the garage owner is keen to get in touch with the owner of the car. Am I allowed to disclose the reg number, which I have? If yes then I will and maybe someone in the club might know of or recognise it. It has a large wing on the boot but otherwise looks standard and has a broken cambelt - apparently. It seems a rather sad story.
im sure garage can actually charge owner if its on his land storage and after so long it becomes his property especially if hes worked on it ...write to dvla .im sure they charge a fee to disclose or contact owner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts