Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spotted this 146 in the carpark of Curry's in Guildford yesterday with a "Council Aware" sticker on the window. The tax had only run out the day before and apart from a flat tyre, from what I can see it looks in ok condition (obviously it might be mechanically dead). I called the council number on the sticker and explained I would be interested in taking it off their hands if it is not claimed, and was told that wouldn't be possible. All abandoned cars regardless of value have to be crushed, it's Guildford Council's policy. The man I spoke to even told me he was going to sticker a 52 reg Toyota that afternoon which would be scrapped if the owner didn't come forward this week (much as I dislike Toyotas it must have some value to someone). Surely this rule can't be right? Does anyone else have any experience in claiming an abandoned car?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
could you not try and do a search hpi or dvla maybe that would give a clue to the owner then try and sort it out through him

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea, however it looks like you can only get personal details by post, not phone & it will be too late then (it gets towed Wed). It also just occurred to me that the 146 probably has an immobiliser so unless you knew you could get the key from the owner it's probably not worth the hassle. I just hate the lack of common sense council employees seem to have.

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
The council should just tow it and eBay it. At least they'd get something back for it. Idiots :rolleyes:

·
Vendor
46,136 Posts
Seriously, if someone nicked it, who would report it? Assuming it could be started of course..

·
Registered
46,602 Posts
There was a red 146 left for dead many months back in a car park not far from work, all the tyres were flat and someone had smashed all the windows :mad: Poor little car :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
so did this thing get taken away by the council then? like was said in here before. if the car is not claimed and cops not interested in it as its not reported stolen Seriously i would have taken it n made money out of it. never knew about or heard of this law.COMPLETE MADNESS!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought the council guy said it was being towed yesterday but the window sticker says the 13th. I'll have a look when I go past later. I can't imagine there would be any problem if someone were to collect it and then send off the appropriate documents to the DVLA. If I really really wanted it instead of just feeling sorry for it :) then I'd just tow it away. I already have 2 GTVs (1 currently for sale) so I probably have enough Alfa's at the moment :) .

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was under the impression that cars can only be taken from public roads, the car park it is parked in is private surely? I am not sure they are legally allowed to take it away!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're right, but I would guess Curry's would have contacted them. I once had a SORNed car that was parked on private land clamped by the DVLA (or at least the brainless crooks they pay to go around clamping). It took me two days to get them to accept they had no right to clamp it. When I pointed out they had trespassed to reach my car they hung up on me :lol: .

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Seriously, if someone nicked it, who would report it? Assuming it could be started of course..
Somebody is nicking it! The Council.
They should be accountable for their stupidity.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts