Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righto, just had the clutch done because of failed thrust bearing, springs etc. £527

Garage says 'its developed a bit of a mis-fire'

It already had some problems as MAF is on its last legs I expect, so I paid up and thought nothing of it

Driving home and it has massive hesitation throughout the entire rev range except at really light throttle.

Was like this for about 20 minutes in traffic and then all of a sudden I get to 4th gear and about 3500 revs and it seems more lively.

Get round a roundabout and it seems fine again (albeit with the 5000rpm MAF problem). Drive another 10 minutes and it seems to be playing up again.

Any ideas?

Oh! and the heater matrix has gone, putting water into the passenger footwell!!!

G

·
Sounds like a lambda fault...exactly the same as my old Twinspark.

Could be a duff AFM or it's nakkered again.

EDIT: daft question, the clutch isn't slipping is it?

wrinx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't think the clutch is slipping

seems to be getting better to be honest, i'm going to reset the ECU using the techinques on here and then see what that does, is there an emergency mode that the car will go into?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey dude, i have the same problem with the misfire. I was told the Lambda sensor was at fault but am not sure. She feels like she is running on 5 cyclinder for a while then clears. this can go on for the whole trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fastboyslim said:
Hey dude, i have the same problem with the misfire. I was told the Lambda sensor was at fault but am not sure. She feels like she is running on 5 cyclinder for a while then clears. this can go on for the whole trip.
sounds familiar, however this feels even less than 5, more like half the engine isn't firing! as it stops accelerationg (which it was doing slowly anyway) at 4,000 rpm and refuses to go any faster.

I disconnected the MAF tongiht and it seems to have improved it however still had a little mis-fire but seemed ok after I stopped the car and restarted.

I don't really want to be chasing the fault around the car (MAF, lambda, god knows what else) but it looks like i'm going to have to!

Could I run the car indeffinalty without the MAF being plugged in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
right it seems to be when the car is below 70 degree in temp that the problems occur, once its driven around 10 minutes and warms up its much better (not 100% right though although the MAF is disconnected now)

what would depend on it being cold?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yes, the ECU does. It adjusts fuelling to suit when the engine is cold. You will be mucking it about a bit with no MAF though.

If you know the MAF is on the way out then get a new one before you start to think about other areas. From what you've said far it sound like a likely candidate. BUT it could be the lambda or even both.

the problem is that they feed back to each other so the ecu doesn't know what's going on and is constantly adjusting the mixture up and down. You can't really test the MAF other than disconnecting it or replacing it but if disconnecting it makes things better then it's stuffed. You can test the lambda on the examiner but if its behaving at the time that may not be conclusive.

Its time to put your hand in your pocket I`m afraid.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doh!

its not happening til after xmas though, i'm skint!

and to think about all the **** taking I took about buying an alfa, reassuring them the V6 was the way forward, how foolish do I look now! :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.