Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
week after spendind near £700 for a new rad, fans, oil change and resistors which is only about 3 months since a new clutch and flywheel shes let me down again (rather i let her down)

After a heated family row at my sisters i took off with anger.... after the initial waste the tyres i'm not moving the car bounced forward but anchors on for a speed bump which i took a little harsh but not as mad as a few. anyhow 20 yds later clunk and no drive. pulled in and checked it but couldn't see anything tried to pull away but no drive, then a shudder and a lot of knocking??

Clutch is only 3 months old and the clunking seams to indicate something else, i'm thinking due to the cv boot warning on my mot 8 weeks ago that maybe it was worse than i though and maybe the force of the pulling away then heavy breaking and speed bump may have buggered the cv joint or drive shaft??

My hot headedness has got the better of me and soon my wallet any thoughts on pos damage caused??

R

·
0 Posts
Get it on a ramp and find out ASAP - you will only torture yourself by speculating. Try not to think about it until then. But if you insist, options include broken driveshaft, broken differential, broken gearbox, broken clutch. If you really want to give yourself a hard time, there are circumstances where more than one of the above can be involved. My guess is the driveshaft, not cheap but not as bad as the other options. Hope it goes well, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers yup hoping driveshaft out of that pick although thoughts on thrust bearing?? having to wait until tuesday to get it trailered to garage for inspection, was hoping for a bank holiday jolly on some a roads but not to be:cry:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ouch! Sorry m8, sounds like you had a bad day. As has been said, try not to worry about it for now. It may be a lot less expensive than you think.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
wouldnt you still get drive from one wheel if one CV had died?
No. The differential would just let the broken side spin and the complete side remain still. Limited slip however would be different.

R

·
0 Posts
although thoughts on thrust bearing?? :cry:
No, not thrust bearing - not possible. I still think there is a good chance that your gearbox can stay put. I've seen a V6 with a broken driveshaft, caused by an emergency start. I don't know what was involved in the repair or what it eventually cost, but I doubt it was too bad.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok...got the car trailered to the garage today and put up on the ramp. visually checked cv and driveshaft and whilst i sat in the car with car in gear and foot heel and toe the brake and throttle i let the clutch out. for a few seconds there was no noise just the revs rising but on inspection drive shaft on both wheels was not turning so not cv or shafts.

then there was a sound of grinding cogs and a stutter from the wheels a couple of times. my local chap came to the conclusion of gearbox/internal drive problems.

Any ideas:confused: :confused:

Looks like i am in need of finding a 2nd hand box and if that is the case ideas of cost and how many hours to fit. my local garage will do the work but he asked my to weigh up the financial as i have already spent £650 last week and a total of £4k over the last 2.5yrs. and i have also a split cv gaitor, rear spring arms need bushing, rear shock leaking, play/vibration/ticking to front as noted on other thread, and a cambelt service soon approaching, and 2 new front tyres. and a fair oil leak from mid way down the engine. when i weigh all that up with the condition of the body(split lower front bumper and many car park dinks) and they drivers seat torn, the car i paid £5k for dec 2005 may well be better to strip for parts and scrap??:cry:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i asked that but if so can it just be changed or is it box renewel?? and likelyhood of this rather than box??

R

·
0 Posts
So sorry for you. I've no personal experience of a broken diff (thank God) but, whilst it is possible to change just the diff, I understand that they can take out the gearbox as well when they let go.

You already have £9K sunk into that car? To put your future spending in context, my cambelt service came in at £1.1K. New spring arms and dog legs were £580 (parts only), Tyres, interior, bodywork, diff/gearbox - you get the picture. At the end of all the spending it won't be worth any more than market value. It will almost be cheaper to just go out and buy another one and keep your one for spares (should have some fairly new parts on it?). Take your mechanics advice - its time to cut and run. :(

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
just caught on this thread, man that is terrible news.

if i can put my two pence worth in, it sounds like a differential to me, have had this happen to me last year. although you have the V6 and i have the twinny. if it is the diff, check the casing for any cracks. any sign of even a slight crack and id get a whole new box cos there could be all sorts of pieces of metal floating about the box, putting the rest of the drivetrain at risk of failure.

mine was completely shattered and had blown 3 big holes in the casing.

i have no experience of working on a V6, but changing the box on a TS took me about 12 - 13 hours all in all including a clutch change.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers guys... yup just going over the figures at the mo..12 hours is that yourself at home or garage times? would love to get it running as for me its better the devil you know but at the same time a swift look on pistonheads for a pre 2001 v6 shows a few options!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you do need it fixed by a garage, then Duncan at Alfanet (Bristol) would do you a deal i'm sure :), I've seen him change gearbox's in record time.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,489 Posts
that was me doin it on the drive bud. but as stated i only have a 2.0 not a V6 so im not entirely sure about differences between the 2.

i must stress again though, make sure it hasnt taken the 'box casing out too, if it turns out to be the diff that is. you could end up changing the diff then a few hundred miles later your gears have been mashed.

Alfa's eh?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well visually checked the casing and no cracks or oil leaks so fingers crossed. Although i'm the wrong end of the M4 adrian at alfa aid came in with a best case dif swap for Q2 at £612. Duncan at alfanet is closer but he is sunning himself in jamaica until next week!! locally it would be easier and cheaper just to buy a second hand box and swap it but trying to get a gtv v6 phase 1 5 speed is a needle in a haystack and a 6 speed would need more work

·
Vendor
46,130 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts