Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the fuel filter, and now the fuel pump has stopped it's high pitched whining....which is good :)

Played with the brake bias doodah, and that seemed to work too :):)

Went for a blast around the roads of Knockhill, redlining in 3rd, I changed to 4th then KAAAAABOOOOOM !!! :eek: :eek:
Something went bang in the engine, or zorst, but I saw flames behind me :cool: :eek:
I pressed in the clutch and slowed, gave a little blip on the throttle and the engine seemed fine. Stopped, checked for loadsa oil, broken bits etc etc and could find nothing and the car sounded fine at tickover.

I decided to carry on until it happened again, so pulled away and the car shot off like a scalded cat !!!! This continued for the rest of my thrash and the car is running great !!!!!

What happened ????
Maybe I should get my car on the rollers again while it's running good.

·
Administrator
47,537 Posts
Some sort of build-up or deposit in the exhaust worked loose and shot out the back? Thereby making the car breathe easier?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I kinda thought that, but what could that be ???
My car hasn't really been running properly for a couple of months now.

·
Administrator
47,537 Posts
You got a cat? Maybe that got choked up, then something ignited inside it?
Dunno if that'd likely screw things up though, rather than making them better.
We need Hoygs, he's good at theories for this type of thing.

·
Administrator
47,537 Posts
Did someone stick a banana up your tailpipe (ouch) ala Eddie Murphy? And the flame was it being chargrilled and shot out the back?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't think so. I'd just driven it 25 miles back from my work before changing the filter. I have a driveway and I was out at the car all the time.
Strange............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marl...maybe someone who knew u'd decatted found out and decided
to shove a real dead cat up yer exhaust :eek:

...Oh..hohoh...I have dreams about someone doing that to my
cats...just a sec lets have a look...ah...one of my pussy's is
missing...I can only hope u blew him half way to China :cheese:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Could be that its getting full fuel now after you changed the filter and has ignited and burnt a load of carbon thats built up in the engine/exhaust with the old filter restricting fuel pressure :confused:

or could be i`m talking Loxbol :cheese: :cheese:

Least she`s running well again :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Dunno, perhaps you've got a silencer collapsing. Had that a few years ago with Maryann's 309- when I thrashed it at night bits of red hot exhaust fell out the back- :cheese: very entertaining.

Could be a problem with fuelling/ignition causing detonation in the exhaust. I wouldn't like to say any more than that. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speedy, that makes sense to me, but dunno if that could happen :confused:

Ally, the silencers should be OK. It's a Powerflow system that I got fitted last November. Had the funky red hot stuff from the zorst on my first Toyota Celica. I didn't know what it was and so pooped my pants while driving along the motorway one night with what I thought was sparks coming out the back :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Marlon,

I had a ZX that was doing the same thing. Finaly got round to fixing the problem after it went BANG in a big way. - My Mum was trying to move it eary one morning to let a neighbour out. She started it up and there was an almight bang,( :lol: ) flames out of the back and tink tinkle noises from under the bonnet. It had a plastic inlet manifold which was now in a thousand pieces all over the road. It also used to spit flames out of the zorst on flat up changes.

Anyhow the problem was the Fuel pressure regulator. Sounds like yours is doing the same thing. Took me frickin ages to find the problem. Went through 2 inlet manifolds and a back box before I found it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i would think that it got so hot that the excess fuel/fumes in the exhaust ignited along with carbon deposits in the silencer stuffing...got to a good hot flash point and BANG...(bit like a turbo charged racing car)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts