Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 6 hour jaunt, we finally got back from North Devon today!

I'd like to say thanks to those that recommended it to me for a holiday; it was a spectacular place with stunning scenery and a surprisingly great weather, despite the forecast (I've turned from a paler shade of blue to a mild 'beige'). We are definitely looking into re-visiting next year, with the proviso of me getting a tow-ball for a trailer.

The car performed supremely: fully laden with heavy luggage, a wife (slightly heavy :p) and 2 teenagers, it's returned almost 650 miles from a full tank (i had to put 20 quid in at knutsford, just to be on the safe side)...and thats with stand-still traffic as sson as i hit the M5 on the way down, and the same again when i hit south of Stafford on the M6, right up to J18.

During these jams, we counted 7 BMW's, 3 Vauxhalls, 1 Audi, 1 Mazda, 1 Peugeot cabriolet and a couple of camper vans/caravan towers, all broken down at the side of the road.

I'm not going to rub it in, but all the Alfa's I witnessed, appeared to be in full working order :D

L

·
0 Posts
Where did you stay?

I'm from Barnstaple......though you probably gave that a miss :lol:

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you stay?

I'm from Barnstaple......though you probably gave that a miss :lol:
We stayed at Twitchen House near Woolacambe :)

We didn't get to Barnstaple this year, mainly because it was a last minute decision and we had brain-farts when it came to planning the days out.

I think the nearest we got to you was Ilfracombe, which was fantastic...we went to the smallest, yet most enthusiastic aquarium I've ever been to; that Damien Hirst statue overlooking the bay is amazing..and we did fail at crab fishing there.....it led to my car temporarily smelling of mackerel and squid :p

Nice to have you back mate, glad you enjoyed the Jolly bobs :D
cheers cocker :)

L

·
0 Posts
Glad you had a good time.

Went to that aquarium for the first time about a year ago. Small, yes. But as you say run by enthusiastic staff who make it a good experience.

If you do come back (and if you didn't get there this time) I can recommend Combe Martin wildlife park. More cute critters like Exmoor Zoo (that sand cat is one sweet kitty), Falconry displays and a train ride through the park. Makes for a good day out with the right weather:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you had a good time.

Went to that aquarium for the first time about a year ago. Small, yes. But as you say run by enthusiastic staff who make it a good experience.

If you do come back (and if you didn't get there this time) I can recommend Combe Martin wildlife park. More cute critters like Exmoor Zoo (that sand cat is one sweet kitty), Falconry displays and a train ride through the park. Makes for a good day out with the right weather:thumbs:
Awesome:thumbs:
We appreciate any tips as we do intend to go back next year:D

For anyone about to go there, though, i recommend travelling very early, as the M5 and subsequent A-roads cant cope with the day time traffic at this time of year.:vomit:

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Glad you had a good time. The only bad thing about going to Devon is the massive ballache of the journey there and back.

L

·
0 Posts
The only bad thing about going to Devon is the massive ballache of the journey there and back.
And that's the problem with living here. Massive ballache to get anywhere (apart from the beach and the moors).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts