Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently with the AA and now that my Alfa is in its 8 th year feel the need to continue with breakdown cover but which are best.......the AA or the RAC?

·
Registered
38,250 Posts
I went with the RAC, as my car is over 10 years old, and the AA wanted to charge extra because of it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Aye! RAC gives me no-claims reduction if somehow I don't use them (14 year old 155 with 190k on it.. :D )

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
AA as they deal with Alfa's from new. Plus, the RAC cost us a cylinder head on an Astra TDs some years back:tut:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Both :D :lol:

I've had RAC membership for nearly 13 years and on the two occasions I've needed them they've been outstanding :thumbs:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was with AA for 7 years then swapped to RAC because of cost. Called them out once for a flat battery they said they would be 45 mins no problem I thought. Two hours fifteen minutes later I had to get a mate to come and jump start me. Canceled my subscription that day and have been with the AA ever since. Have used them many times and never let me down and they have gone out of their way to fix my car at roadside a couple of times now.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I've just rejoined the RAC for half price. :smug:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm currently with the AA and now that my Alfa is in its 8 th year feel the need to continue with breakdown cover but which are best.......the AA or the RAC?
You're going to find good stories and bad stories regarding both.
When i last chose breakdown cover it was purely done on the level of cover and cost.
I use the quidco cashback site and when i took cover with RAC i got a whopping £80 back for their top level cover. home/roadside/euro etc - cost me about £30 in the end, a proper bargain.
At the moment on quidco it ranges from £21-40 cashback for RAC depending on the level. The AA aren't on the site.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Oh. We get full AA cover free with Lloyds premier+ banking:cool:

·
Registered
636 Posts
The AA want £180.50 off me next year........seems a lot to me?
took out "recovery plus" with green flag. the top level you can get without european cover for £67. less £20 cashback from quidco so in reality £47. i think its a no brainer for peace of mind.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Oh. We get full AA cover free with Lloyds premier+ banking:cool:
but it costs £300 a year for this type of account, yes you do get benefits with it such as free breakdown cover etc but it is only cost effective if you were paying for all these before.
i.e. airport lounge access - good to have for "free" but were you using this service before so can you realistically justify deducting it from your £300 annual spend.
This is not directed at you SR, don't want to know your financial status etc just a comment for other people to consider when looking at these accounts. I guess however in the current climate we're all going to be paying for a bank account soon anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The AA want £180.50 off me next year........seems a lot to me?
Ring them and tell them your leaving for extra discount or just get a new quote.

I was quoted the same £180 rang them and dropped the homestart (as i can roll my car down a hill for 1/4 mile or my mechanic I am sure would do most jobs in my garage if I was really stuck) that got it down to about £100.

I know the RAC is a lot cheaper but if you think you will use them the AA may well save you the extra money from missed apointments etc.

On my old calibra they fitted new brushes on the alternator at the side of the road as well as several other fixes. I called them out five times in one year with my first car.

Perhaps people have had bad experiences with the AA but I have never met one.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
I am with ADAC which is the German equivalent of the AA or RAC. They have been fantastic, there is no limit on international cover or age and the reason I joint is that you get free recovery off the Nurburgring.

I broke down in Italy and they sorted me out a hire car for the rest of my holiday and organised getting the car home and the organised flights for me and my family, I did not have to pay then claim back they did every thing.

If I were (as I have done) to break down in England they contract the AA to recover you as if you were in the AA.

I pay 73 Euros per year and that covers all my cars and every one that lives in my house on any car.

ADAC ADAC - Ihr Partner in allen Fragen rund um die Mobilität. (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club) - Mitgliedschaft - Pannenhilfe - Routenplaner - Tests - Versicherungen - Kreditkarten - Finanzierungen - Autovermietung :thumbs:

Ned

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am with ADAC which is the German equivalent of the AA or RAC. They have been fantastic, there is no limit on international cover or age and the reason I joint is that you get free recovery off the Nurburgring.

I broke down in Italy and they sorted me out a hire car for the rest of my holiday and organised getting the car home and the organised flights for me and my family, I did not have to pay then claim back they did every thing.

If I were (as I have done) to break down in England they contract the AA to recover you as if you were in the AA.

I pay 73 Euros per year and that covers all my cars and every one that lives in my house on any car.

ADAC ADAC - Ihr Partner in allen Fragen rund um die Mobilität. (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club) - Mitgliedschaft - Pannenhilfe - Routenplaner - Tests - Versicherungen - Kreditkarten - Finanzierungen - Autovermietung :thumbs:

Ned

Just off to cancel my subscription to the AA :thumbs:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I was with the AA a few years back and had a double puncture on my car (I swerved to avoid something in the road and hit both the tyres on my right side on a traffic island - yes I know it was stupid).

Anyway I called the AA and 2 hours later a van turned up and said he couldn't do anything as I would need a tow so he would get one sent out within the hour. An hour later I had heard nothing so I called the AA and they had no record of having the tow requested so they sent a tow lorry.

An hour later a van with a lift on the back (so it lifts the front 2 wheels and the rears roll along the floor) turned up 'sorry mate you need a flatbed for that', so I asked him if he could just put the good front tyre on thee rear of the car so the 2 fronts were the flats, apparently not and he wouldn't put the spare on either. So he tells me he will call a low loader.

An hour later I called them up and they had no record of that request so they said they would contract it out to a local company. An hour later a local guy turns up in the same type of vehicle as the last AA guy, puts the spare on the back and tows it off. They then tried to charge me extra for my 6 hour recovery because apparently I wasn't covered!

Then about 6 months later my mums cambelt snapped on her Vauxhall Zafira, but she thought it wouldn't be too bad because she had a warranty with the AA. They managed to wriggle out of it on a technicality.

Ever since then I havee been with the RAC, who turned up in 30 minutes when I called them despite it being a non urgent call.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My partner and i both have our caes on AA cover. the main reason that we stay with them is that our membership entitles us to buy a breakdown insurance policy for £120 per year that we can claim (both cars ) up to 5 times a year up to £500 towards the repair bill if either of our vehicles is attended by a patrol . My thinking behind this is that during the time i have my car i do expect to have something major go wrong , clutch.diff.waterpump etc and the £220 per year (both cars) i think is worth paying for when my clutch/waterpump/diff does go my GTA I will be attended to at the roadside, towed to waterfall garage in bridgend and the repair will be done well with a big chunk of the repair bill covered. Even if this only happens to one of our cars once in 3 years i will still not have lost any money just spread the cost over 3 years.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
but it costs £300 a year for this type of account, yes you do get benefits with it such as free breakdown cover etc but it is only cost effective if you were paying for all these before.
i.e. airport lounge access - good to have for "free" but were you using this service before so can you realistically justify deducting it from your £300 annual spend.
This is not directed at you SR, don't want to know your financial status etc just a comment for other people to consider when looking at these accounts. I guess however in the current climate we're all going to be paying for a bank account soon anyway.
We use pretty much all the benefits and the travel insurance alone has been excellent, allowing me to travel even with my spinal problems (for a tiny additional fee).

Mobile phone insurance cover, free credit reports, wills & so on.

Plus, Mrs SR works for LTSB:cool:

Nice Black debit card too;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts