Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please note that the following request has received permission from the AO Administrators.......

Hello fellow Alfisti in Devon

I wonder if I may ask you (and your friends and family), please, about their experiences of accidents and near misses on the N Devon Linkroad? I am particularly interested in winter time accidents and near misses, but don't restrict those not caused by inclement weather.

My Daughter had a recent, blackice (police report) carsmash, when using this trunkroad in otherwise dry,clear, cold conditions. 2 other members of my family are also injured.

My Daughter has a lifechanging injury

IMHO, my continuing researches, (into causes, salting-services & council-controls, etc ) allow me to conclude that the decision to salt or not to salt Devon roads could be skewed by Council policy to avoid waste, i.e. salt & money.

That scares me.

If I'm correct, I believe that the policy must be challenged.

I believe that my researches will be more productive if more informed-opinion can be obtained, and shared, especially when it is via a respected Forum. Particularly if we can gain knowledge of specific locations which are prone to accidents and near misses

Please use Private Messaging or seek my phone number, if it will help. All contact will treated as strictly confidential.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: A361 - Driver & User experiences?

Please note that the following request has received permission from the AO Administrators.......

Hello fellow Alfisti in Devon

I wonder if I may ask you (and your friends and family), please, about their experiences of accidents and near misses on the N Devon Linkroad? I am particularly interested in winter time accidents and near misses, but don't restrict those not caused by inclement weather.

My Daughter had a recent, blackice (police report) carsmash, when using this trunkroad in otherwise dry,clear, cold conditions. 2 other members of my family are also injured.

My Daughter has a lifechanging injury

IMHO, my continuing researches, (into causes, salting-services & council-controls, etc ) allow me to conclude that the decision to salt or not to salt Devon roads could be skewed by Council policy to avoid waste, i.e. salt & money.

That scares me.

If I'm correct, I believe that the policy must be challenged.

I believe that my researches will be more productive if more informed-opinion can be obtained, and shared, especially when it is via a respected Forum. Particularly if we can gain knowledge of specific locations which are prone to accidents and near misses

Please use Private Messaging or seek my phone number, if it will help. All contact will treated as strictly confidential.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

Thank you in advance.
Ok, over 20 readers, but no replies:( . Mmmmmm. Thank you for looking.....it would be good:thumbs: to have your opinions, though.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
tend to only use it in the spring/summer/autumn when i visit my mum. I do however think that it is inherently a dangerous road as it is frustrating to drive on and the short lengths that you are able to overtake on soon come to an end and when its busy you need the pateince of a saint to drive it, in fact dont be in toomuch of a hurry on this road as there ate also saftey cameras dotted along its length.

I know thats not what you are looking for but hey!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tend to only use it in the spring/summer/autumn when i visit my mum. I do however think that it is inherently a dangerous road as it is frustrating to drive on and the short lengths that you are able to overtake on soon come to an end and when its busy you need the pateince of a saint to drive it, in fact dont be in toomuch of a hurry on this road as there ate also saftey cameras dotted along its length.

I know thats not what you are looking for but hey!
Many thanks for your reply:thumbs:. At least you (and yours?) are now aware of a risk which is hiding in isolated :wow: spots on that road, and are safer for our efforts. I fear for those who aren't as aware.
Guess I need to try to use the pyramid technique to gather more views & opinions. Do you have two contacts in N Devon who would be prepared to start that off, please?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your reply:thumbs:. At least you (and yours?) are now aware of a risk which is hiding in isolated :wow: spots on that road, and are safer for our efforts. I fear for those who aren't as aware.
Guess I need to try to use the pyramid technique to gather more views & opinions. Do you have two contacts in N Devon who would be prepared to start that off, please?
BUMP

Over 50 readers of this thread now.........please add opinions & views, it'll help

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hey Sopranofan, I dont know if you remember but two years ago 2 men were killed in a crash near the tesco roundabout heading towards South Molton. That was a distant member of our family, I must admit I have never had a problem on that road, and i was travelling it everyday when i was working in swindon...but.....when I have seen tractors on the that road holding the traffic up people seem to get really impatient and take silly risks :(

Sorry to hear about what happened :(

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Sopranofan, I dont know if you remember but two years ago 2 men were killed in a crash near the tesco roundabout heading towards South Molton. That was a distant member of our family, I must admit I have never had a problem on that road, and i was travelling it everyday when i was working in swindon...but.....when I have seen tractors on the that road holding the traffic up people seem to get really impatient and take silly risks :(

Sorry to hear about what happened :(
Cheers for your support, Bud. Did you know that, in 6 years to Feb 2007, there were 2 fatalities, 6 serious injuries, 26 slight injuries and 42 damage-only accidents......in just one 2 MILE STRETCH:wow: , alone, of the A361!!!....I'm trying to find out which time of the year is worst.

Do you know 2 other people who would be prepared to offer their opinions & views, please?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'll get in touch with the direct family and see if they are interested in giving any kind of statement :)

J

·
0 Posts
I used to live in barnstaple and south molton and used to drive the link road everyday through the 10 mile stretch from barnstaple to south molton which was not too bad a piece of road tbh. I also used to drive the entire length from barnstaple to tiverton everyday, day and night. This is the worst section especially at the highest point when the fog rolls in but people dont drive according to the change in conditions. I have seen various accidents along the road myself. Seems to me people come down to north devon from driving on dual carriageways and motorways and dont adapt quick enough to the stupid three lane design and the blind hills of the link road which appears to have caused as many accidents as the weather conditions.

I didnt personally have any accidents or problems with the road but having lived around it for 15 years so i guess i was well aware of its dangers and knew everypart of the roads corners, hills and three lane sections inside out.

safe driving guys.

Jase

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a lot better since they put double white lines between the opposing traffic on the 2-lane sections. Before that was done it was quite hairy!

J

·
0 Posts
It's a lot better since they put double white lines between the opposing traffic on the 2-lane sections. Before that was done it was quite hairy!
Haha, yea i remember coming down the long hill between barny and bideford basically playing chicken. Two of you in the middle lane heading towards each other seeing who would pull in first lol. Really bad when you look back at it now.

J

·
0 Posts
Yea when you get stuck behind a truck or sunday driver it seems to take forever to get down and up the other side.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Drove from barnstaple to the M5 yesterday, HUGE tailback as far as i could see in my mirror.A Lorry. All those places to pull over but they dont.Some People towing caravans are just as bad, and there's no need for it. Last time i used that road a Van overtook me just before the little chef roundabout (second south moulton turning towards Barnstaple) He must have been doing 70-80mph and just missed me.He went in the right lane which is now right only not right and straight on as it used to be. But he went straight on nearly hitting two cars on the roundabout.Also had a good friend killed a few years ago on that road.I Hate it!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha, yea i remember coming down the long hill between barny and bideford basically playing chicken. Two of you in the middle lane heading towards each other seeing who would pull in first lol. Really bad when you look back at it now.
Mmmmm, isn't between barny and bideford the A39, Mate?
The bit that I'm 'campaigning' about is between South Molton & Tiverton. Can you offer any opinions about your (or nearest & dearest's) experiences along that stretch, please?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Opening Poster...ie you :thumbs:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Used to rep around this patch, didn't have any road problems myself. Sorry to hear about the accident.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts