Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a weekend. I have spent most of my time doing some major/minor repairs to the cloverleaf. Here goes:

First of all were the rear brakes, Before:

And after, 6 hours later (bleedin calipers!!!!):

Then on sunday, i decided to rebuild the throttle body to fix the dodgy Idle.

First i removed the whole assembly:

Then i stripped it to more or less a bare shell:

Then i started apply copious amounts of autosol metal polish to the heavy black staining:

Finished, the staining was gone (but left a permanent mark) and the throttle body was smooth as silk:

So next up was to clean the maf:

Then i reasembled it all, reconected the battery and followed the Idle reset procedure (BORING!):

Yes, this is actually a picture of me waiting 90 seconds before turning the key back.

Started her up!!, oh dear, idle higher than normal:

before taking it for a test run, i sprayed some silicon lube into the gear mechanism to stop the squeeks:

Unfortunately the spray reacted with the existing grease so the spray lube just fizzed away o_O

Took her for a test run, the engine is very sensitive now and it seems the throttle body polish has released a couple more BHP!! she felt much quicker, but i don't think the idle problem has been fixed. She doesn't stall anymore but still hunts. I think it will be back to normal when the ECU re-learns again :(

Well, that was my weekend. Next weekend she is getting a wash!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the lambda has broke 3 times in the past year before i bought it. I assume it is fixed by now.

She gets 320 miles to a tank so i don't think it is running rich.

I will replace the Maf before the lambda anyway as it is a "fake" ebay cheapo £30 job (Bosh not written on it anywhere).

Cheers for the advice :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It looks like it has the resistor mod.
I hope you're enjoying the 20 BHP extra :rolleyes:.

Nice photos by the way.
Those brakes look really clean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
good work mate.how did you split the maf?it says on that link you gave me that a special tool is needed.mines also has stoped cutting out but the rest of the problems are still there.let me know if the ebay buy works as i might try that,but ill need to do the clutch kit first.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, security torx. Torx with a pin in the middle. Maplin is the only place i know of that sells the right tool.

If you do strip the MAF then be carefull, don't touch any metal part.

I am this close to solving the Idle problem. I am almost certain it is the Maf or idle controll motor (75% maf, 25% ICM) i have ruled out the Lambda. Shame they are both £100 parts!!!!

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
Kudos to the job done. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts