Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local scrappie on Saturday to look for some trim parts for my 166 (Paddock Wood, Kent). The sole 166 carcass there had been crushed - boohoo.

I was saddened to see so many 156s there. They were close to being the commonest car there!

From what I could see they were all T-sparks and diesels. No V6s.

Another interesting new development was a team of Nigerian guys dimantling Nissans and Hondas to send the parts back to Africa. I'd never seen that before. The yard owner said that they were "enthusiastic hagglers" or words to that effect.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Aye! I guess the earliest '56s are all over 12 years old now.. and becoming bangers.. :eek:

But I don't like the bone-yards at the best of times.. just too depressing for me to see so many old cars languishing there with the windows all smashed and people walking on them.. :(

Ralf S.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Daft heads like me keep 'em running :thumbs: :lol:

L

·
0 Posts
"enthusiastic hagglers"!!! I work for one of the biggest commercial dismantlers in this country, the African market is huge, and they dont half like to haggle. :lol:

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I suspect with current scrap prices stock in breakers is getting turned over pretty quickly these days, and as a 166 is a low-volume car its debatable how long its worth keeping in stock. When I was running a full-scale breakers, I had on average about 600 - 700 cars in stock, and on average they remained in the yard probably 6 or 7 months (although I kept Alfas for much longer until they were as stripped as possible)....but scrap was only worth £10 - £30/tonne - its currently about £160/tonne, so you'd be sitting on a much greater stock cost these days......

As for the Nigerian exports....been common for years - when I closed my yard six years ago, Merc commercials were much in demand, along with older Peugeots like 504s, and any RWD Japanese stuff. We had regular customers who we'd keep stuff for, and they'd collect from a number of yards and take the stock to a central base to stuff containers with as much as they could fit in....I also had an Aussie guy who'd do the same sort of thing once a year, buying any 5-speed RWD Ford gearboxes we had, as well as steering racks, EFi units etc......shipped it all back to Brisbane. He did buy quite a bit of Alfa stuff too, but because his price criteria were "keen" I often couldn't afford to sell him the more in-demand stuff:lol:

L

·
0 Posts
Problem for us being in the commercial side of things is even getting the stock, most of it is going straight abroad, plus we have a few regular customers that we load containers for, when they come over they go all over the uk to source there stuff.

K

·
0 Posts
The number of cars that end up in breaker's yards by virtue of just being old is quite depressing. It just seems so wasteful.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
^^ +1

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
+2. Half the problem is that people are given so many incentives to buy new cars on green issues. If we were all still driving old ones then this would be green too. Sadly that is an impossibility or car manaufacturers would go out of business.

·
Registered
929 Posts
+3

Car resale values are low compared to the cost of fixing even common faults and getting them through MOTs so older cars become worth less. Vicious circle really.

We have about the youngest vehicle fleet in Europe.

All the best

Keith

1 - 11 of 11 Posts