Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The day I hoped would never happen is here, I have to sell my 166. I am moving abroad and I have looked at all the options including shipping her and storing her but unfortunately they are both just too expensive. It is going to be a very sad to loose her, but unless I find someone with a shed they are willing to rent to me for a low price she will have to be sold.

Can I please have some opinions on what sort of price I should market her for and expect to get for her as well as what magazines and websites are best for marketing 166's. Anyone have any expereince on 166's on ebay?

Details:
1999 166 3.0 Super V6 6 Speed Manual in Dark Blue with Cream Leather with the Factory Body Kit and 17' Wheels. 135k miles.

It has a full service history and I have done done all the major maintance including new cam belt, new water pump with metal rotor, suspension bushes throughout including Koni shock absorbers drop links and front anti roll bar, new radiator and new rear exhaust section (the rest is in good condition) as well and the normal maintance and servicing.

Service, MOT and wheel alignment done last week by Jamie Porter. She has new Michellin Primacy tryes on the front and the rear ones have plenty of tread.

I guess the only negative was that she was rear ended on the motorway a last year but I had it professionally repaired with a replacement bumpers front and rear and boot and bonnet. There was no structural damage whatsoever (there was not even any damage to the radiator)

The body is in good condition with the only damage being a years (since respray) stone damage on the front and a 3 inch long scrape under the fuel flap. There is also minor paint damage on the front of the side skirts behind the front wheels. There is minor kerb damage on the wheels.

Any advice or opinions (or cheap storage sheds) would be appreciated

(I haven't got around to taking new pictures so these ones are from a year ago)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
looks lovely with the zender goodies - i guess that would boost the value but as well all know 166's are worth very little these days. Dougies lovely 03 plate super was bought for 2.3k recently....

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
You are going to be very upset!!! Thats stunning! Its too nice to sell for nothing! You may as well give her to me! :cheese:

It looks nice! very nice!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sad day mate :( , but with the credit crunch and the current state of car sales in general ( worst new car sales since 1960 something ) and the knock on effect on used sales you are going to be disappointed. Good luck mate :thumbs: or can you delay your departure from blighty until things turn up. You are too far from me to have a look at your motor :mad: , but the old photo's look very nice :thumbs: .
Best of luck Steve Jo.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
You're going to take a big hit.

It may be worth searching for somewhere cheap to rent if you intend coming back.

I was searching routes and post codes the other day and loads of driveways to rent, one also had a garage to rent too. It was in Crawley next to the railway station, they may do a deal for long term.

You could give it to me free, I'll garage and give it back to you when you return. I'd give it a weekly or fortnightly run. 18 ft garage with 14 ft in front to get in and out in :(

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I guess from your comments re shipping that you're going somewhere a long way from Blighty? US? Australia? However, if it's within Europe, I would drive it to wherever you're going and keep it there. You could either SORN it or drive it back once a year for the MoT (tax can be bought online these days and mailed abroad).

What's it worth now? Perhaps £1500 privately? Dealers would probably not even want it at all, sadly. Crazy, considering the condition and £30K new price tag!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Does look nice, good colour combination. Sadly, £1500 private is about right, which you have been offered! If you don't need the cash the offer of free storage is a great one too, top forum this:) !!

D

·
0 Posts
Does look nice, good colour combination. Sadly, £1500 private is about right, which you have been offered! If you don't need the cash the offer of free storage is a great one too, top forum this:) !!
Sadly a year ago the car would be worth about £1000 more, even with the 'high' miles, but in these current times everyone's as poor as hell, :(

If I bought it for £1500 it would be a keeper anyway for the next few years as I'm saving to buy a house and that with the missus, I'd just have to shift the 156 is all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the posts - makes me want to sell her even less.

Thanks for the offer Darren156, You can have first option on it when I formally put it on the market. I still need the car for at least another 2 months. I am also going to have one last look around to see if I can find a solution to keep her.

Monza96 are you serious about the storage, if so what area are you in? We may need to talk..

Anyone else with any clever storage suggetions?

AGM155, I am going to New Zealand, I have looked at shipping her and it looks like it will cost around 2k shipped and on the road. I would pay that but the problem is there is no guarantee that I will be there for more than 6 months.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I might be able to offer storage.....But it will be outside and maybe at no cost!!!! All I need is help in shifting a few cars to the scrappy! And of course it would be at your own risk

If you need short term storage that not really an issue for me! But long term ill have to make some space!

Erm.......you might find you Zenders missing tho :D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Sadly, that's not a bad offer from Darren with the prices as they are !

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Super, i'm trying to find a warehouse to store my alfa's in at the moment, as i'm trying to expand the collection. If i find something in time you are more than welcome to add yours to the collection (for storage purposes only of course) until you are back. Any idea how long you will be away for?

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Super,

I am in Devon - see bit at bottom about brother's father in law in West Sussex may be willing to do a similar deal, he pervs Alfas.

I'll charge Darren 156 admission to look at your car. How much extra do you want me to charge him if he wants to touch it?

I'll need to think about my offer. Potential flies in the ointment are it'll stop me getting a hobby car that I'll need to garage, and it's my mother's house, but I don't know if she'll have to move in the coming 12 months. Trying to get sense, or reason from elderly people can be difficult sometimes.

The garage is up a narrow (6ft 6 inches lane) and there are some brambles overhanging it from neighbouring properties.

I had a landlord when I lived in Newbury that something similar for a neighbour's son's Kawasaki ZXR400 when he was abroad, he just exercised it once a fortnight and it stayed in the garage of the owner's parents.

Regarding my driving style, I passed the RoSPA advanced driving test in 2002 and 2005 and failed it this year and I am awaiting a retest. I am a low mileage driver, and probably less than 3000 miles a year.

If it was my garage I'd be able to give you a better perspective of how long it would be free.

Plus with my brother likely to visit more what with his impending parenthood, he'd probably want to put his car in there when visiting to save it from the attention of local car damaging feral youth.

I think the cost in petrol getting it here, would get you a few months garaging up there.

I'll ask my brother if he knows anyone in West Sussex, with a free garage space.

His father in law has just sold his Morgan V8, is a member of Goodwood and attend the FoS and Revival and wants an Alfa I wonder if he'd do a similar deal?

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
If the overseas work is a secondment, or promotion congratulations. I was offered a secondment overseas in a previous job and really wished I'd taken it. A lovely car wasn't a consideration, but a girlfriend.

See that veloces ad. New 147 2 litre £12K? That will affect the prices of used cars. It may worth selling to Darren 156 and saving the money and getting another Alfa on your return?

Though I can understand it's difficult to break the sentimental bonds we can make with the most mundane of cars sometimes.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts