Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, if someone has experienced that before...

Whenever I accelerate (a bit hard) the battery lamp starts blinging.
My first thought was that maybe this might come from a cable that vibrates or shorts because of road vibrations but this happens only when I accelerate

The Voltameter that is on board is shown continously good 12V but this measurement may come from the alternator

Does anyone know if this blinking means that the battery is about to die or maybe is something else?

Thank you

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
It means that the rectifier of your alternator is dying.

The more revs you take the engine, the more power its taking from your electrical system, and your alternator cant charge anymore.
It should be worst with the lights and heater on.

If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage of your battery while the car is on idle.
It should read 13.8Volts at its best with battery fully charged.
In your case, you should look for 13.1, 13.2 volts. Anything lower than that, the car isnt charging properly.

Then give it some revs. If you see the voltage drop, then you can be sure 100% its your alternator.

Some measurements for you:

Good Battery with car turned off - 12.5 Volts
Battery measurements while cranking - shouldnt drop below 11 Volts - if it does your battery isnt good
European car alternator output - while engine is running - 13.8V
Japanese crap alternator output- while engine is running - 14.4V

Output values should be constant or go a bit up while accelerating. They should never drop.
The battery warning light in the car will start to go on with anything below 12.5 Volts.

If accelerating drops your voltage - Alternator fault
If voltage drops below 12.5V with lights on and heater or radio or whatever - alternator fault

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
And all these alternator faults are because our alternators are BOSCH - made in Germany !
If they were made in Italy, we wouldnt have any problems ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thanks Chris. I will check what you told me.
I was afraid to think that I have problem with the Alternator again.
Isn't there a chance that this warning light could mean that just the battery is dying because maybe it cannot charge anymore at full capacity?

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Yes, but thats usually the case when your battery is shorted.
However, the car's electrical power, comes primarily from the alternator, so the warning light for the battery if the battery was at fault, would be if the battery was fully flat and not charging.

Meaning, your car wouldnt start in this case.

Only by taking the measurements can you be sure of the fault

·
Registered
57,683 Posts
It means that the rectifier of your alternator is dying.

The more revs you take the engine, the more power its taking from your electrical system, and your alternator cant charge anymore.
It should be worst with the lights and heater on.

If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage of your battery while the car is on idle.
It should read 13.8Volts at its best with battery fully charged.
In your case, you should look for 13.1, 13.2 volts. Anything lower than that, the car isnt charging properly.

Then give it some revs. If you see the voltage drop, then you can be sure 100% its your alternator.

Some measurements for you:

Good Battery with car turned off - 12.5 Volts
Battery measurements while cranking - shouldnt drop below 11 Volts - if it does your battery isnt good
European car alternator output - while engine is running - 13.8V
Japanese crap alternator output- while engine is running - 14.4V

Output values should be constant or go a bit up while accelerating. They should never drop.
The battery warning light in the car will start to go on with anything below 12.5 Volts.

If accelerating drops your voltage - Alternator fault
If voltage drops below 12.5V with lights on and heater or radio or whatever - alternator fault

Enna stilo epistoli stin NASA oti exume epistimona mes to forum mas j an xriazunte kapion yia dulia :lol: Skepsu to. Ginete :cheese:

A

·
0 Posts
Ah excuse me. The Integrale? Dikeologite kalo en 80's. An itan omos to Brera itan na men piasi i pellara.

Nikola o monos tropos na men echi provlima krata tis trofes panta pano pou tis 5k!:cheese:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HeHeHe :) sorry Nicola I didn't made that clear.
Pisteua tha itan autonoito oti i Brera den einai dynaton na parousiazei tetoia provlimata tooooso nwris.
Gia tin Merc fysika oute logos :D

A

·
0 Posts
Ma i Merc en eshi BOSCH alternator? Chris mentioned that these alternators are not that good.

Tha eksechase omos oti to wiring en to ekaman germanoi alla italoi. Ara mbori to provlima sou na ine aplos ena "Bad Earthing".

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tha doume, tha kanw tis metriseis kai tha deiksei. An itan omos bad earthing den tha "estegnone" i mpataria poly syxna?
Edw mporei na kanw 3is bdomades na tin ksekinisw kai ksekina mia xara!

A

·
0 Posts
Eksartate an i kaki giosi en tis batarias i memonomenis sindesis kapiou gauge, foton etc.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I see. Pantos mia grigori ereuna poy ekana einai sxedon misi timi na parw ena refurbished alternator apo UK stelnontas ton xalasmeno, para na episkeuasw auton pou exw stin Kypro

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
nope !

ground/earthing as you say, is not cable connected.
The body of the alternator is grounded because its bolted on the engine block - which is already grounded and well, otherwise your started wouldnt crank the engine ;)

So no, wiring is not the issue :p

·
Registered
893 Posts
Had similar prblms with my suds and 33s, and found that my removing all groundings on the engine and the chassis and cleaning the points very thoroughly the prblm has almost disapeared.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmmm!!! Thank you Pavlo.
Ok I will measure the voltages as Chris said and if I don't find anything I will remove the alternator and check it, just for the peace of mind.
If it comes from the groundings could this create any problem in the future?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts