Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - just noticed recently when i'm driving esp. quietly that you can just about hear a ticking noise.. popped the bonnet, and was louder, but not sure if it's always been like that and I'm just being paranoid or something. I do remember making a comment when I bought it (nearly a year ago) that it sounded tappety.. I made a vid, what do you think? Not that easy to hear I know.. and the distortion noises are just from mobile camera, not the engine.

VIDEO0028 - YouTube

What could be causing the ticking noise if that's not normal sounding? I thought it might be my power steering pump that starts groaning etc when it's low (has a tiny leak) but that changes when you put wheel on full lock, and this noise doesn't seem to change

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I had something similar and it was the cam belt. Seems to be reasonably common at the moment, so worth checking out. Unless anyone else has a better idea as I'm just guessing really.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Hard to say from the video. I presume you've checked manifold and spark plugs as they can cause a loud tick if cracked or loose

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input -

I had the cambelt done as soon as I bought the car about 10 months ago, and metal impeller etc... so I hope not.. Will prob have to take it to local place to see what they have to say for piece of mind

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, it's not loud, I think I'm prob just being paranoid, but can't hurt to take it to local garage - just thought I'd put video on here incase there was sometihng blatently out of place. Spark plugs def worth a check as I'm sure they've never been changed. They're mileage based though right? 60k? I'm on 47k orso. Could be manifold based after all front pipe and throttle body work. Nobody said anything at MOT last month, nor at aforalfa when he did the TB.. prob me just worrying over every little noise

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
When they did the belts did they do the idlers? They can be a right pain so lots of garages leave them. :( best find out just in case mate

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, it was done at alfa workshop.. and they did do various extra bits..I'll try dig out invoice

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that so Ayat? Seems like there's about ten things you should do whilst doing the cambelt, I can't keep up

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
if it was Alfa Woorkshop, the'd have done the idlers for sure. Jamie won't allow something like that ruin his reputation.
Very true. I'd imagine you're safe fewleh :)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Sparkplugs and gtv manifolds, that makes 2 :). Rear bank is meant to be a pain so makes sense to save on labour as ur gonna do it not long after.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Sparkplugs and gtv manifolds, that makes 2 :). Rear bank is meant to be a pain so makes sense to save on labour as ur gonna do it not long after.
They are not that much of a pain.

Seeing as I had a similar noise, I'd suggest checking the plugs...even if only the front ones. Very easy to get at...and costly if the come loose.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Rear bank should take 30 mins to check if you are experienced. 1 hour max if you've never done it before and like to make cups of tea while you work :D

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
I can't believe you've had answers from a load of GTA owners, and no one has mentioned the carbon filter thingy*

I thought all GTA's had this incurable light ticking from it?

*Might not be the official term.

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I cant hear the video as the sound doesn't work on my current PC, but as just another thing - injectors do emit ticking noise what is normal.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This may be a stretch but I have a ticking noise which is to do with weak / faulty air con unit. Not as loud as yours mind you.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
does it only appear when cold?

I would say canister under right wing

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If anything it only appears when warm.. Although the car's so loud when cold, it might be there too.... :D It's not that noticeable all the time... the threads bazza pointed me to gave some good insights, alot of people think it may be some sort of recirculation valve. I'll keep an ear on it, and get them to take a look next time it's in for a service. I do get some ticking noises from the air con too, but this noise sounds much more like it's coming from the engine bay, although hard to pin down. Nearish to the top engine mount though.. Thanks for the suggestions though lads, all good info.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts