Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 159 seems to have developed a squeak or two and they are driving me mad. The first one, which I hope I have fixed, was due to a tyre garage not re-fixing the space saver to the boot floor with the screw after fixing a puncture for me. Took me ages to work out where it was coming from but I eventually noticed it.

There is another squeak/creak however that isn't so easy to locate. It happens when I go over certain bumps, when I accelerate very quickly in low gears at the point of the torque coming in and when the engine is cold it happens at start up as the car shakes a little when it fires up.

It definitely seems to be worse when the car has been sat overnight in the cold. By the time I get to work, nearly 30 miles away, it's all but gone. It also seems worse when it has been raining or I have jet washed the car. The sound seems to be coming from under, or around the driver's seat.

I have no idea if it's the seat mounts, engine mounts, exhausts or what. A car-savvy friend of mine is going to take a look tomorrow for me but I thought I'd mention it here to see if any of you guys have had a similar issue?

It's amazing how such a small thing can totaly ruin your enjoyment of a lovely car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a similar issue, I can also get the noise if I push the car back and forth if left in gear. It appears after driving for a while, I can especially hear it if going over railwaycrossings. I'm thinking maybe enginemounts?
Please let me know what you find, its driving me mad...

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have this too since last year. It was gone over the summer but now with the cold weather it started again :(
It sounds like something is loose... engine mounts, gearbox...

·
Registered
68 Posts
same here too ! mine is only apparent when throttling up or down...a little squeek like a mouse.Seems to be coming from over by the passenger side on mine though at one point I thought it was something to do with the rear seat swab .....which creaks as you sit on it !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see I'm not alone. The guy I said was going to look at it has, and in his informed, but lay-man's opinion, it is the exhaust. He said the bits that hold it/them on may have come loose. So tomorrow morning I'm taking it down to my local tyre/exhaust garage for them to check it's all tight.

I will post their findings, Steel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most likely its the bushings on the anti-roll bar.
The guy did mention that after he looked at the exhaust, which by the way was fine. It all moved well, had lots of clearance and didn't make a sound.

He said it could be the anti-roll bar or the suspension. He said it could be this rubber bit, or this rubber bit, or this rubber bit, or this rub.....you get the picture.

Basically he said until it get's worse, it's really difficult to tell. So I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that I may have to live with it. Just hope it gets better when it gets warmer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
The squeak happened on my 147 and 159. Obvious when there's water, i.e. rain or after rain.
Easiest way to troubleshoot/solve the problem is to spray some WD-40 at the bushing, one at a time, starting with the ones on the anti roll bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've found the noisemaker in my car! It was a plasticbox on the left side of enginebay. Not the airfilterbox, but its connected to it. On my 1.9 diesel its mounted over the enginemount. Sprayed some wd40 on the rubber and noise is gone:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally found the squeak! :thumbs:

Just got the car back from Alfa Aid in Maidenhead, who I can't recommend highly enough, and they managed to track it down to the rubber bushes under the engine mounts. This accounted for it happening when the car started up and when a lot of torque came in.

They lubricated the bushes and said that I may need to replace them if it comes back. They spent hours trying to find the problem and only charged me half of what the labour should have been. I am so pleased now, the drive home was fun. I did everything I could to make the noise happen and not a peep.

Very grateful to Adrian and the guys at Alfa Aid :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Finally found the squeak! :thumbs:

Just got the car back from Alfa Aid in Maidenhead, who I can't recommend highly enough, and they managed to track it down to the rubber bushes under the engine mounts. This accounted for it happening when the car started up and when a lot of torque came in.

They lubricated the bushes and said that I may need to replace them if it comes back. They spent hours trying to find the problem and only charged me half of what the labour should have been. I am so pleased now, the drive home was fun. I did everything I could to make the noise happen and not a peep.

Very grateful to Adrian and the guys at Alfa Aid :)
That's excellent that you got it sorted!

My first thought was engine mounts for the same reasons you suspected. Torque etc..

Any idea where and how to get to these engine mounts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not very technically minded with cars I'm afraid. But Alfa Aid said that it was the lower ones, near the footwell area. They had to take the whole undertray off etc. Not the easiest of things to get to by all accounts. Good luck finding your squeak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a squeek like this is well. And I know how I fixed it, where it was comming from. Now the hard part is to explain where it comes from...

It comes from under the hood. If you open up the hood, you see the engine in the center and and the left of it you have a small box. This box is mounted into some plastic bracket. You can pull the box out of the bracket and you will see it sits on some rubber under it. It is in fact the friction of the box with the rubber that creates the squeeking. Just greese the rubber up and it will be gone.

If someone can post a picture of the engine, I will be glad the draw a red circle around the area I mean.

Good luck

·
Registered
924 Posts
I had a squeak on my 147 which was finally sorted when my mechanic found that it was due to a clip holding the handbrake cable, close to the left wheel. On my Brera, it's definitely from the exhaust, right hand side. Have yet to fix it though

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have this squeak - about the only issue with the car - great thread and i will investigate.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Squeaks and groans

I'm suffering the same problem along with squeaky brakes and a groaning clutch pedal.
My 159 is less than 2 years old has 21k miles.
It is in at Dews Alfa, Brighouse, W.Yorks, who aren't covering themselves in glory.
3rd time it as been to them for the squeaks.
They seem to be employing see no evil, hear no evil...speak lots of evil!
Last visit I took a mechanic out with me and wouldn't take him back until he acknowledged the cacophony wasn't just my imagination.
Having been serviced by them within the last 2 weeks and the brakes being declared ok for wear and damage etc, they phoned me today to tell me they wanted £130 to strip, clean and re-fit the brakes, When I asked about the other noises, they said they couldn't hear them, so couldn't diagnose them!
I've complained to Alfa Uk customer service. (not sure I'm that optomistic they'll resolve to my satisfaction).
What is anoying is that the squeaks and groans and possible solutions are here for all to read, so why doesn't an:cheese: Alfa dealer know anything about them!
Expecting an update tomorrow, meanwhile I am holding their courtesy car hostage.

:cheese:

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've complained to Alfa Uk customer service. (not sure I'm that optomistic they'll resolve to my satisfaction).:cheese:
Good luck with that. I've listed my numerous problems with squeaking 159's elsewhere but on my brand new TI ARUK basically told me to s*d off:mad:
Basically the squeeks arent covered under warranty and they wont offer any goodwill. Even a half hour or an hour to investigate was too much effort for them and the dealer. If I wanted them to do the work I had to write a blank cheque and if they found it was an issue covered by warranty they would pay, if it wasnt or wasnt found then I paid. In the end I tracked most of them down myself but on a supposed luxury car I was amazed by just how sh*t ARUK's stance was. They seemed to think it rattling like a childs toy was acceptable, whereas I dont. Love the 159, hate ARUK's sh*t attitude:(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi guys,

I also have a squeak/rattle that is really driving me mad and ruining my hole driving experience!

I'm fed up with constantly taking a Friday off work for my 'local' dealer (nearest dealer to me is 35-45 min drive) for them to investigate various different problems and squeaks that arise!

However, this squeak is different to what you all describe. It comes from inside the car and I have located it to the rear passanger side (just by guesing from the sound). Now after weeks of taking it to the dealer, they say the noise is a result of the rear seat pushing against the rear trim (constantly) and causing the squeak. Apparently they've tried everything to stop the noise (after changing their mind each time it goes in as to weather they can hear it or not, even though it is always there 9.99 out of 10 times you drive the car) and they say there is nothing I can do and it just happens in breras every so many cars produced.

It is an 09 brera s with 31k miles but the sound has been present for most of the time I've owned it from oct 2011 with 24.5k miles... Any suggestions or similar experiences?... I can't live with it and makes me embarrassed to take mates out in my car when it sounds worse built than my old corsa!

Oh yh and not to mention I've got to book it back in now because the driver seat rocks badly and the whole seat frame needs replacing due to wear (apparently), which to me is very poor build quality in a car that's not even 3 years old yet!

Thanks for your patience :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts