Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased on the 7th of May for £700

Got it cheap thru the finance co that I work for, it was a bit of a risk as no recent service stamp's and I wasn't able to test drive it before I paid for it but so far so good.

It had just flown through a MOT so wasn't too worried.

New cam belt (with help from Smaky), axillary belt, tensioners etc.

New battery.

Bit of a problem with over heating in McDonald's drive thru yesterday but temp fix holding OK. Bless the spotty chav behind the counter "err your car's on fire"

Oh and thanks to the black 156 driver who went straight past me sat in my car with the bonnet up, coolant p-ing out, who then parked up and walked past staring without even asking if I was OK!!

Apart from that seems to be a great car and a HUGE step up from the 1.1 Seicento.

Have I got the bug already? Yep!!

J

·
0 Posts
Purchased on the 7th of May for £700

Got it cheap thru the finance co that I work for, it was a bit of a risk as no recent service stamp's and I wasn't able to test drive it before I paid for it but so far so good.

It had just flown through a MOT so wasn't too worried.

New cam belt (with help from Smaky), axillary belt, tensioners etc.

New battery.

Bit of a problem with over heating in McDonald's drive thru yesterday but temp fix holding OK. Bless the spotty chav behind the counter "err your car's on fire"

Oh and thanks to the black 156 driver who went straight past me sat in my car with the bonnet up, coolant p-ing out, who then parked up and walked past staring without even asking if I was OK!!

Apart from that seems to be a great car and a HUGE step up from the 1.1 Seicento.

Have I got the bug already? Yep!!

good on you, and as for the other 156 driver, they need a slap!!

stick with it, they are great cars to drive:thumbs:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Coil pack fix

Whilst Smaky was sorting out the cam belt for me he noticed that the coil packs were cracked and suggested a good bodging fix for them so i thought we'd take some photo's and put it up as a guide and part of the story so far....

Pic 1
remove the coil packs from the car, then the bar (i think they are all the same but i numbered them to put them back in the same place anyway)

Pic 2 & 3
your packs may be all cracked like this or just arcing from a small (1-3mm dia) circle somewhere on the pack - look for what looks like a small dirty patch. Warm up your soldering iron and gently melt the plastic over the crack or mark.

Pic 4
wrap the coil tightly in electrical insulation tape.

Pic 5
When cleaning everything up check all the plug leads at both ends, you may well find corrosion - two lead ends were corroded quite badly and had to be pinched gently with pliers to make a good connection.

Pic 6
Bright and shiny

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re the overheat - fan not working

As you may have read earlier in the thread I had a bit of an overheat on the first day of ownership!

After talking to Smaky (again!) and checking with a multimeter it turned out that the low fan speed switch (located at the top nearside of the radiator fan housing) was faulty, bridging the two wires running to it got us home but a permanent fix was required.

After removing the switch the resistor fell off! (see pic 1) Even with the big soldering gun it wasn't going to go back on - a brainwave was looked for and realised in the form of chocolate! Block that is, cutting in half a piece with hacksaw gave me two mini clamps (see pic 2) then it's an easy job to put back together using a bit of threadlock to stop it vibrating apart again (see pic 3)

Can't wait to see what falls of next :wow:

Attachments

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You did extremely well to melt that HMP thermo plastic with a soldering iron.:thumbs: What material did you use as a filler rod? Great sort out there of various components, well done.:):

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only used a 15watt iron with a very slim point tip, didn't need a filler as the plastic is quite happy to melt back into itself ;). I intend to keep expanding this thread with every fix - off to flush the rad now as the temps getting a bit too high and can't afford a recore on the rad till after the wedding, only 3 weeks now :wow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts