Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just bought my first Alfa yesterday - a red 2001 147 1.6 Turismo and I think I'm in love :inlove:

But I know nothing about the history of the car in terms of how well it's been looked after, and there are a few things I could do with some advice on so I can get some sleep....

Knocking noise when driving over rough road / small bumps - think it's coming from the front behind footwell.
The heater blowers are not blowing out air, even though I can hear the fan working.
Small amount of white sludge inside oil cap - could be something to do with car being sat around in this freezing weather for a while before I purchased?
General lack of power for a 1.6?

Any specific solutions or advice would be great, due for MOT next week as well, so any repairs I can have done alongside! Thank you all :) Ryan

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Hi,

Knocking noise is likely to be a suspension component - anything from an anti-roll bar link to a wishbone. The MOT will pick it up if it's serious.

Blowers - maybe the pollen filter is blocked?

Sludge isn't good, as a rule, but if it's a small amount it's probably just the weather conditions.

Lack of power could be the MAF (air-flow meter), which is a common problem. The test is to unplug it and see how it goes (it'll idle a bit rough). If it's an improvement, replace it with a genuine Bosch one.

If you don't know the service history of the car, best to get the timing belt changed (interval is 36,000 miles or 3 years - whichever is sooner) and some nice fresh oil/coolant in it :thumbs:

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Blowers - did the person before you service it his self? I did mine before and then all of a sudden the blowers weren't working properly... turned out I put the pollen filter in back to front! The filter is located in the passenger footwell under the glovebox.

Sludge? Never a good sign... if it's a miniscule amount fingers crossed you should be ok. Good luck with that.

In short... get your car serviced immediately just to take away any doubt.. best to have your belts changed while you're at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts