Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sad little story. Some time just over two months ago, not far from home, in my last few days of Alfa ownership, a fellow Alfa owner, a quite distinguished-looking older gentleman, saw me in my Giulia waiting to join a major road, waved enthusiastically, and gave me a thumbs up. I'd already seen his car. Parked at the side of the road I was on was a particularly lovely bright yellow Alfa Spider, a real showpiece. My Giulia was also freshly washed etc, and he clearly saw me as a like minded soul, had circumstances been different, I'd have stopped for a chat.

A few days ago, our local paper, The Bournemouth Echo, ran a story that an elderly man had been seriously hurt in a mishap involving a yellow Alfa Spider, and as we all know, there aren't a lot of those about. No publication should allow reader comments after news like this, but a few did appear, though all were swiftly deleted. One unsubstantiated report said that the man had been pushing the car, when he slipped, and it ran over him, no-one else was involved.

Today, the same local paper reported that the man has died, and the balance of probabilities says that he was almost certainly the man who'd waved at me, and I had seen what I'm sure was the same car a couple of other times since then. That newspaper runs stories almost every day about elderly people involved in motoring mishaps, "Didn't see another car or pedestrian", "Stepped on the wrong pedal by mistake", "Death or medical problem at the wheel", "The car ran away with me" etc, but this one really resonated with me, I almost felt that I knew the man. However, whether or not he was "my friend", lets all share a thought for the loss of a so far anonymous man, who was clearly an Alfa enthusiast, one of our number. RIP.

·
Registered
35,773 Posts
Reminds me of the time I went to the company that’d installed our kitchen a few years later to claim on the warranty and the lady said
“oh your kitchen was sold by David?”
Then “ you know he died two weeks later?”

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,234 Posts
That’s tragic. RIP to the gent with the yellow Spider.

Reactions: cloverleaf535

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I heard this on BBC South, I remember saying to my Mum who was in the room at the time 'that must be an old Alfa if it's yellow, or a MiTo' since nothing more recent than MiTo (besides the super rare 4C) have been yellow. I had to rewind the report to be sure he hadn't passed away, which he hadn't at the time. What a damn shame, especially if the unsubstantiated report of the car causing his injuries are true.

A very kind piece to write though, @giuliaRob. Thoughts with the man's loved ones and also yourself as it's not a nice feeling when you feel like you're only a tiny step away from knowing the person.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've not been on this forum much lately but thank you GiuliaRob! A sad tale but it shows what really binds us! A simple wave can means so much!

Reactions: cloverleaf535
1 - 8 of 8 Posts