Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, a ride in a Tesla!

I know that Taxis aren’t always that representative of cars, but let’s just go with it. It was the ‘S’, the largish hatch.

First impression? Cheap. Why? What’s the first thing you touch on a car? The door handle. And, probably through excessive use, it felt flimsy. As did the interior handle to pull the door closed and the rattle from the door panel when it slammed shut. Inside? Not Premium.

But... really comfortable rear seats, loads of leg room, good ride (mind you, very smooth motorway). Some tyre hum as ever exacerbated by the lack of engine noise, no wind noise and no weird groans or whines. And blimey it was quick, just whooshing along forcefully in near silence. It made the E Class that took me to the airport feel like a relic. It was a lot of fun to travel in. If Mercedes could fine tune the refinement and Audi could enhance the interior quality then that would be quite a car (appreciate that given how much was invested in the power train that something had to give)

I would have chatted to the driver about it but he was a bit surly/scary - next time :)

but yes, very much enjoyed it :)

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I had my first go in a Tesla a couple of weeks back, model 3 dual motor.

I was to busy being scared shitless to notice much, the acceleration is phenomenal, and it doesn't even have the 'ludicrous mode'

That said, I need to have one in my life.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Probably just best to wait for Merc to produce their own slightly less flimsy electric car. Next few years will be interesting as the technology develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I was a passenger in an S about 18 months ago in Brussels. Cheap is the word I would use - the interior felt like a kit car - nice materials, just badly done. Yes the engine is quiet, but that means you focus on other things - wind noise, the suspension clunking, tyre noise. Electric cars are only quiet if you take the rest of the NVH angles properly, which Tesla haven’t.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I was in a Nissan Leaf last year, and noise-wise at speed, it was all sorts of horrendous.

in fairness to the Tesla, the only noise I heard was the tyre hum. Maybe it was still very new, as a couple of years ago, another taxi driver (BMW Diesel) was saying that Tesla taxi drivers were reporting that when the cars got to 100k/200k, they get very clonky. (Just relaying what he said.)

·
Administrator
45,326 Posts
My neighbour has had a Model X turn up on his driveway recently. Actually, that's not quite true. There's two of them, one of which doesn't seem to ever move. Or maybe it does. They're identical white ones. Maybe one is a spare?

I suspect it's through his work somehow - never see them being charged, so I assume that gets done at work. Not yet had a chance to talk to him about them. He was asking about Mrs Bazza's Audi S4 a year or so ago because he was thinking in that area - obviously decided to go a different way though. He didn't give the impression of knowing cars.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Friend of mine has a 2017 Model X. He's just been told his is "too old" to get the latest software enhancement....... I only got a 6 word expletive laden text from him about it so when I know more i will update - but THAT is the worry for me still on buying into the Tesla world. Same sort of cycle of being obselete as home electronics....

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Ah - scratch that - he misunderstood. Apparently you can only get the "ludicrous" power option if you have a "performance" model which apparently his isn't. It wasn't a car model/age thing.

He also has the "come to me" upgrade in the latest software release - but outside of the US it is limited to a 6m maximum range so you can use it to stand outside the car in a tight parking space and get it to move out of the space to where you are standing - but you can't summon it from the other side of the Waitrose car park like you can in the US

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
He also has the "come to me" upgrade in the latest software release - but outside of the US it is limited to a 6m maximum range so you can use it to stand outside the car in a tight parking space and get it to move out of the space to where you are standing
Sounds useful but does it work the other way? Get out before it reverses into the tight parking space.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I wouldn't be too keen on the 'summon' feature, plenty of vids of people's unmanned Tesla's piling into other cars and some near misses.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I wouldn't be too keen on the 'summon' feature, plenty of vids of people's unmanned Tesla's piling into other cars and some near misses.
Conversely I would absolutely love that feature and would be using it endlessly. I may even resort to going for walks around the block "summoning" my Tesla to follow me every 6 metres. A bit like walking the hound where he stops every 2 seconds to sniff wee.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
A friend has a Model S. I've only been in it once and it was an odd experience of all that performance but little in the way of drama. No engine noise felt very strange. But he absolutely loves it, and has come from an M5, and various 911s before that, so a bit of a performance car nut.
It has also broken down and had to go back for ''battery work''. Apparently this is common, at least with the 'S'. To be fair, he was given another 'S' as a courtesy car.
That huge screen in the middle of the dash also looks completely out of place in a car IMHO!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Ive been in a few....but would never buy one (too bloody expensive to start with...well that and its a disposable domestic appliance and not a car!!)….fast but dull and poor quality interior would be my summery. A quick look at any reliability survey will also put you off buying one if you have any sense....usually way down the order. Even the big leasing companies don't want to know.....my brother in law does about 45,000 miles a year on business in his Merc (was BMW) and fancied going electric with a Tesla....but the leasing company said no. They would not supply a Tesla for that sort of miles (24 month 90,000 mile contract hire) as they break down too often and cost them a fortune in replacement cars and out of warranty items. They basically did not want be associated with such an unreliable car!!......hmm...not exactly confidence inspiring. I think Tesla will be flushed down the loo as soon at the big boys start to make cars in Teslas market area....they will be better built (especially inside), they will be more reliable and have way better dealer back up....and there almost certainly will be cheaper models too.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Two work colleagues have Model 3 Teslas. One is more of a pal since he took a few of us out in the car. I sat in the back.
Comparing it to my Mercedes CLA though I think the Tesla is probably a class or two above.

Interior
Merc, not bad at all, silver trim reasonable soft plastic covered dash. Leather bolster pretend fluff/suede whatever inset. To me it looks and feels a nice place to be. Many say it is **** and cheap😄 The rear legroom is **** and only good for adults on a relatively short journey and less than 6ft.

Model 3, again not bad at all and the interior felt at least as good as (my apparent ****) Merc. Loads more legroom. I actually did not mind the iPad style dash. I could get used to it. Full leather seats.

Ride/handling/engine
Merc is hard but comfortable. Handles very well and is quite chuck-able and predictive. Engine sounds harsh at times and other times it seems a little raspy (in a good way) . It is a 7 speed DCT which I love, however I bet out of warranty these are going to be troublesome. No reason other than I just think.

Model 3 is very quiet and even though it was poverty spec (as is my Merc) it was quiet other than some tyre noise. He took it around a fairly big roundabout at speed. I think the low COG (batteries) helps. I'd say it was better but then I did not drive it.

I quite liked the Tesla. I love the sound of a [good] petrol engine and would always use that as my excuse not to have an EV. However I conclude that most of the regular economical ICE sound **** anyway.

In essence my daily is a tool that does the job well enough as does the Tesla. I'm not sure however a Model 3 overall is actually any cheaper to own/run and in fact given the initial cost it probably works out more expensive over four years.

As for the environment, a Model 3 over the four years has to be much better but I'm not much of a man made CO2 subscriber anyway.

I will seriously consider some kind of EV next if not a hybrid assuming I buy/ease/finance and don't just buy another older car.

Someone else left his EV at work while he was away on business for a few days and when he came back the battery(s) were flat. That was taken away this morning on a flatbed. It won't start.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The front of the Tesla 3 is hideous...I could not be seen in that no matter how good it was...which is sad considering how right they got the look of the Tesla S....imo. The 3 looks like a car with severe learning difficulties! If you seriously think the interior of the T3 is anything like the quality of a Merc you might need a trip to Specsavers! That's not just my opinion...but that of most of the road tests you can find. Reoccurring comments include "poor quality plastics, easily marked surfaces, premature UV "greying" of black surfaces, poor and uneven gaps" etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts