Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving Silverstone today, as I drove passed some spectators in my GTV I heard one say "Look, a real Alfa" - well said that man :thumbs::)

C

·
0 Posts
Leaving Silverstone today, as I drove passed some spectators in my GTV I heard one say "Look, a real Alfa" - well said that man :thumbs::)
I think I understand what he meant, to my eyes, modern saloon / hatchback Alfas have lost something, although they are perfectly good cars, they seem to have lost some of that Alfa magic, they look pretty much like everybody else's offerings.

Back in the day, well my day anyway, Alfa saloons like the Giulia 1600 Super, looked decidedly different from other manufacturers cars, performed a darn sight better than most of 'em too. Though now I think about it, every manufacturers cars did look very different one from the other! Still it weren't all sunshine and roses, once car manufacturers started building monocoque cars it all went to mono-c o c k! Nobody realised how many water/salt traps they were building into their cars, and the result was a tin worm epidemic, still they got away with it for the most part, people still bought their cars.

Alfas were no different, under government ownership, they were probably worse than many, Fiat (Fix It All Tomorrow), were like as not worse! It seemed to me at the time that what Alfa was very good at was building engines, those old twin cam engines were bloody marvellous! and almost infinitely tuneable, and all you needed to tune them was the bits, and box full of spanners.

Which brings me to computers, (spit).....Ok, it weren't all bad, except for the advent of the jelly mould cars, and we still have them. We now have cars that take a very long time to rust to pieces, but they are encumbered with so much crap, that some spotty yoof with a lap top is needed to tell you why yer car wont go. All in the name of emissions. I look under the bonnet of me Spider, and I just scratch me head, for the most part, I aint got a clue what I am looking at.:) I note that spanner men aint called mechanics anymore, they're called technicians, personally, I think cars are too complex, and what for? In the name of efficiency? I don't think they are much more efficient than they were back in 1965, fuel consumption (on the street, not manufacturers fairy tales) is not that much improved, generally speaking mileages seem to be better, I do remember when 80k miles was considered total rebuild time, so yes, the engineering is better, but efficient? Well I suppose it depends how you measure it really.

Still me Spider does look very different from most, and she turns a few heads as I burble through the town :)

Ah well just an old geezers ramblings..........Have a nice Sunday.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
The only production Alfa today that can hold it's own is probably the MiTo. Which doesn't say much, as it covers only one niche sector of the market.

You can forget the Giulietta. Contrived, ugly, and at best a Fiat Bravo derivative. With a very nasty, black plastic interior, the most un-Alfa aspect of this horrible car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mito, Guilietta... if you take the badges and the Alfa grill off, they all look like a Kia or a Ford Ka or an Astra.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
The last REAL Alfa's were the Brera and 159, both cars unique in that they were built solely by Alfa Romeo, none of this badge engineered single platform dross that's around now.

The 4C when it become available in the mainstream will be a significant step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned, I hope FIAT allow Alfa to grow in a unique a niche direction.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
948 Posts
Alfa Twin Cam & 8V TS version of same
Flat Four/Boxer
Busso V6

A "real" Alfa really ought to have one of the above fitted..at least where mass produced models are concerned.

Not keen on the two current models either, cars from the far East have made great leaps in styling recently, I'd put money on some people fawning over a Kia Ceed or whatever if it had Alfa badges put on for a laugh.

:cool: I had it lucky really and grew up surrounded by Suds, Sprints, 33's, 75's, 164's and various nice Alfetta GTV's before moving onto the 145/155/156 & GTV/Spider era....people starting out nowadays don't really have that luxury of choice to a large extent.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Alfa's will remain true alfa's as long as they make the people who own them smile, go out for drives and passionate about the brand. Why limit it to engine configurations? Unfortunately times change and so do preferences of the market so be glad that the legendary status of alfa romeo is still carried on and instilled in new owners.

Can't say the same for many other brands.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
Alfa's will remain true alfa's as long as they make the people who own them smile, go out for drives and passionate about the brand. Why limit it to engine configurations? Unfortunately times change and so do preferences of the market so be glad that the legendary status of alfa romeo is still carried on and instilled in new owners.

Can't say the same for many other brands.
I agree with most of what you say. But it would be helpful currently if Alfa Romeo were actually making cars for people to drive.

Not everyone wishes to buy a MiTo, even if they can get into one. The 4C is a distinct step in the right direction, but it is in essence a 'niche' product at a 'niche' price, so not everyone can buy one. It's all eyes to the Giulia. If that fails, then it's the end of Alfa Romeo.

There, I didn't even mention the hideousity that is the Giulietta:lol:

·
Registered
948 Posts
You can forget the Giulietta. Contrived, ugly, and at best a Fiat Bravo derivative. With a very nasty, black plastic interior, the most un-Alfa aspect of this horrible car.
There, I didn't even mention the hideousity that is the Giulietta:lol:
:D Not keen then?

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have driven the following Alfa's
2 x Sud
1 x 33
3 x 156
2 x GTV
1 x Giulietta
Plus at least 1 Mito as a courtesy car and a 159 SW as a hire car in France.

The Giulietta is every bit an Alfa as all the others. You have to drive it in D and quickly but she sits on the road in much the same way as a Sud albeit without the fantastic exhaust note.
I'd love to renew my acquaintance with a Sud.

Leaving the Suds aside best of the above is without doubt the 3.0 V6 GTV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts