Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many moons ago as a kid I used to wash my parents cars with washing up liquid as probably did everyone else before all the detailing products where available .

So my question is

Why with all the polishes,waxes, sealants and special washing liquids are there so many cars with smears and marring all over them

Back in the 70's & 80's and even the 90's when a majority were still washing with normal household washing up liquid I didnt see any of these marks on a clean car . Yes you'd get the light scratches but no smears or marring .

I always used to used washing up liquid then leather it off , I know it strips the polish off but my cars never looked dull because of it .

Is it all down to a build up of silicons and sealants contained in modern washes and detailing products

·
Registered
155 Posts
People now days are more careless with their cars. However I think an answr also lies with in the paint build up and application?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Did the fact that the paints were thicker and harder in the 70's have anything to do with it?

In the 70's it was very hard work to wax polish a car but done properly it lasted a long time whereas today it's relative quick and easy but needs topping up quite often!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think its more down to the throw away society we live in. People don't look after their things so much.
Car washes and bad cheap hand car washing services haven't helped.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I think the main reason not to use washing up liquid is because it contains salt which causes rust....

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Paint structure as said has much to do with it imho.

Cellulose, Thermo Acrylics, Isocyanate,(sp) Polyurethane Twin Packs, and now, Trumpets.... Toot! Toot! water based.

Bring the armour plating back, I says'? :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts