Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think it might have been bad form to have watched the film 'The Battle of Britain' whilst my German housemate pottered around upstairs?

It is a great film with some fantastic footage and great lines

Kept the sound down very low and tv changer at the ready in order to flip over to a nature prog if needed.

Documentaries get turned off fairly quickly which for a history buff is agonising.

Do we mention 'the war' and get it over and done with?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Do you think it might have been bad form to have watched the film 'The Battle of Britain' whilst my German housemate pottered around upstairs?

It is a great film with some fantastic footage and great lines

Kept the sound down very low and tv changer at the ready in order to flip over to a nature prog if needed.

Documentaries get turned off fairly quickly which for a history buff is agonising.

Do we mention 'the war' and get it over and done with?
It has a fantastic music score, and the bits they play when the scene changes to a Luftwaffe airstrip in France, are quite brilliant, so turn the sound up, and it might make the house mate feel quite nostalgic or even homesick.;)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The good old Ron Goodwin Luftwaffe March.

Great bit of music.

(As pointed out below I got my composers muddled)

N

·
0 Posts
It's VE day in a couple of weeks. Why not wait till then and
throw a big party too?

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
The good old Ron Williams Luftwaffe March.

Great bit of music.
Ron Goodwin, King of the War Film score, got the DVD edition where his score was (optionally by viewer) replaced with one by William Walton (who did the music for the dog fighting montage near the end of the film), doesn't seem the same.

Seems you've got film composers mixed, a cross between Ron 'Where Eagles Dare' Goodwin, and John 'waiting for George Lucas/Steven Spielberg to call' Williams.

Is this the best quote in the film?

H

·
0 Posts
I think most Germans (certainly as BF says) are, although obviously aware of the war, they know that it's history. They had nothing to do with it, and they certainly don't believe in the ideologies of the time.

There is sometimes a faint whisp of embarrasment, sometimes almost apologetic of their country, and its actions.

Germans, on the whole, are pretty cool people.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Go for it, im sure they wont think you are taking the mickey. sometimes it is more embarassing to try and avoid a suject.
Fawlty towers anyone :lol:

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Surely the defeat of Nazi Germany is cause for celebration for the German people too? As pointed out before, the ideologies are not a reflection of current German political thinking, and quite rightly abhorred by most people?

H

·
0 Posts
Would Italians avoid talk of the Roman empire, and the killing, slavery and torture done it's name?

Would we avoid talk of the British empire? After all, that caused much suffering wherever it spread, as all Empire building does.

If we don't aknowledge, discuss and learn from history, then it just repeats itself.

·
Administrator
23,021 Posts
Actually his most famous quote was about the Mosquito (not Spitfire):-

"In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy.

The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that?"

The Mosquito - a true legend and, for what it's worth, my favourite aircraft of all time.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Did anyone see the Top Gear show, where they arrived in Belgium, in two seater Spitfires, to take on the German TV crew.
I think they used some of the music from the film.
I get goosebumps every time I see a Spitfire overhead - I am lucky enough to live in the triangle formed by Biggin Hill, Rochester and Headcorn. I didn't see the Battle of Britain memorial flight the other day on Sheppey, so that was a great loss.
Biggin Hill the other year was great, they had about half a dozen Spits and a Hurricane doing passes.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ron Goodwin, King of the War Film score, got the DVD edition where his score was (optionally by viewer) replaced with one by William Walton (who did the music for the dog fighting montage near the end of the film), doesn't seem the same.

Seems you've got film composers mixed, a cross between Ron 'Where Eagles Dare' Goodwin, and John 'waiting for George Lucas/Steven Spielberg to call' Williams.

Is this the best quote in the film?

You are absolutely correct of course. getting my composers muddled.

I like the art of understatement, so for me the best line is from the Group fighter controller as 12 Group's 'Big Wing' goes into fray

"This will give them something to think about."

The second is the Polish squadron being made operational. Brings a lump to the throat for some reason and I don't tend towards being emotional.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Didn't I learn from some documentary that the Luftwaffe only attacked the Southern Airfields on alternates days as they wanted to be 'sporting'?

If that's true it was a tactical error, but damned decent of them.

·
Administrator
23,021 Posts
Didn't I learn from some documentary that the Luftwaffe only attacked the Southern Airfields on alternates days as they wanted to be 'sporting'?

If that's true it was a tactical error, but damned decent of them.
A myth I am afraid.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Actually his most famous quote was about the Mosquito (not Spitfire):-

"In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy.

The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that?"

The Mosquito - a true legend and, for what it's worth, my favourite aircraft of all time.
Here we go Paul, one of the finest aircraft of WW2.

YouTube - mosquito airshow

Sadly not many left now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts