Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

a question about servicing for a new car:

i thought that if a car was new, that it had to be serviced by a main dealer due to warranty restrictions - am i incorrect? :/

......or can it be serviced by any garage as long as they use correct parts and stamp service book?

thanks
dan

·
0 Posts
AFAIK as long as genuine parts are used & the garage is VAT registered it is OK

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys - right cool - was just wondering as the car im about to replace my GT with was supposed to have full dealer hist, but then turned out to have non dealer hist :|

cheers
dan

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi maz ........shouldnt say here really :/ :D its a mk5 golf 140 tdi !! i know i know - very dull and not at all in the spirit of alfa owning :( .....but the gt is just a pain to maintain for me as garage not close and involves borrowing a friends car etc - and although have just got mscf fixed finally after a year, the boot leaks,airbag light is on,passenger window is on way out, and reverse gear still doesnt work fully

.......so im hoping for a slightly easier life with the gof - just a bit - i know they arent toyotas, but the dealer is right next to my house ;)

cheers
dan

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
The manufacturer will try and wheedle out of most warranty claims anyway ... although the first two years are usually more "water-tight" .. the third and subsequent years are subject to a lot more get-out clauses ...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cheers guys - will get on to them to be sure ;)

btw: surprisingly the cabin quality in the mk5 isnt much better than alfa -and looks a lot duller - hey ho :rolleyes:

·
Registered
736 Posts
hi maz ........shouldnt say here really :/ :D its a mk5 golf 140 tdi !! i know i know - very dull and not at all in the spirit of alfa owning :( .....but the gt is just a pain to maintain for me as garage not close and involves borrowing a friends car etc - and although have just got mscf fixed finally after a year, the boot leaks,airbag light is on,passenger window is on way out, and reverse gear still doesnt work fully

.......so im hoping for a slightly easier life with the gof - just a bit - i know they arent toyotas, but the dealer is right next to my house ;)

cheers
dan

Arghhhhhh...Living with the GT must have been tough Dan....
If its the VW dealer your talking about at least you on the right side of Sheffield.
Good luck anyhow..
Wayne

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
WARNING - my brother runs a vw bora of the same vintage as my car (2002) and it has been far more troublesome than my Alfa by far, even though the 156 has 50k on it while the bora has done about 24k...

with a third party warranty he got more than his moneys worth with the amount of work the dealer decided the car required - vw service staff are hit and miss, some are sensible and know whats wrong, but most dealer garages simply follow the never ending list of fault codes the car may churn out and replace every part it tells them to... google for good vw forums that are as good as AlfaOwner, you will need one to find a good dealer - or find a good local indy.

actually, of all the vw owners I know, only a few are happy with their cars, most have as many problems as you hear about on this forum.

**good luck though! hope its a good one!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys - yes i know it is pretty pot luck where cars are concerned - 50% of the reason for moving is the easy of servicing/problem fixing - shall very likely keep you posted on my initial experience ;)

cheers
dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts