Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased some anti roll bar links....cheaps as chips from ebay and guess what? i thought the loooked cheap and as this is a job that requires the wishbones being replaced, didnt want to have change them again anytime soon.
Anyway, i have also bought some from S4Parts (remains nameless) and they are in a box with some italian writing on them and they LOOK as cheap as the nasty beggars.
Anyone know where to buy the best quality from?
This 2nd set has cost me 4 yes 4 times the price of the ***t (or are they) from ebay and looks like they are going back :(

Anyone with good experiences out there. Eb Spares or Alfaworkshop? ta:thumbs:

p.s can somebody tell me how to delete a duplicate thread? thanks

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Front ARB links? They consist of a fancy metal eye bolt, 2 large washers and 2 pieces of rubber.

I contest that the quality of the materials is mostly irrelavent, and you buy the cheapest you can... £10 each?

You can replace without doing the wishbone, if you disconnect the lower ball joint then force the wishbone down with plenty of force... If I recall correctly (I know because I swore lots when I finally bolted a new wishbone in, only to find the ARB link wasn't in place)

Note that you don't need to tighten the bolt right up underneath... this squashes the rubber and I think causes it to deform and harden more quickly. Just tighten so 4 or 5 threads are visable underneath - it's a nylock so it won't come undone.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
cheap REAR ARB links from local factor lasted just over a year.. MOT advise.. excessive play.. replaced with Alfa Workshop items..

I agree with the 'over tightening' issue though.. and I also swore when I couldn't get the ******* thing through
the ******* hole.. Disconnect both sides..

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I bought some cheap, but not the cheapest, rear arbs from ebay, after 4 months the rubber was disintergrating on all four boots. I then bought the most expensive ones from ebay and they looked like they had been made by a small child (quite true most likely) so I sent them back for a refund.

The ones from eb spares didnt look much different to the cheap ones from ebay, but I hope paying £20+vat each, rather than <£20 delivered for a pair will mean they last a while.

The originals (TRW) I took off where fine, but unremovable due to rust.

Here is a pic of the cheap ebay ones, 8 months old, but they looked similar after 4!

http://starcroft.org/alfa/fubararb.JPG
http://starcroft.org/fubararb.JPG

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am looking to replace the front wishbones on the spider before my planned trip to France this year and have been looking on Ebay there are varying prices here there is a German seller giving a 2 year guarantee who has good feedback,I am not that bothered about replacing with original Alfa parts as they were obviously not fit for purpose,however i only normally do around 3k a year in her I dont necessarily want the cheapest but dont want to pay top price if these dont last any longer any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I think we have to be careful with this discussion to specify front or rear ARB links... Corky mentioned wishbone so I was on about front ARB links...

The rear ARB link on the other hand is a more complex part with 2 ball joints on each end. I bought mine from local motor factor £20 each, bit steep I thought but we'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I think we have to be careful with this discussion to specify front or rear ARB links... Corky mentioned wishbone so I was on about front ARB links...

The rear ARB link on the other hand is a more complex part with 2 ball joints on each end. I bought mine from local motor factor £20 each, bit steep I thought but we'll see how long they last.
It was the rubber boots on mine that failed, rather than the balljoint, nothing complex just poor materials..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts