Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I have a question in regards to the boxer engine is the boxer port injection? or direct injection? as my red injector warning light comes on the dash and some times the Alfa jerks when driving drives cranky but then drives ok most of the time when the red injector light goes off my 96 146 1.6 boxer only has 161000 kms on it, so I was going to run a good brand of injector clean in the fuel next time I gas up from what I understand port injection cleaner is different from direct injection cleaner?.

If by chance I have to replace my fuel injectors can any one recommend a good brand of fuel injectors and good international suppler out side of the Nz.

· Registered
1,499 Posts
I thought direct injection was only in newer cars. I typically put a bottle of injector cleaners in my cars once at year when I give them their oil change. If there is a serviceable fuel filter it might be worth changing that too. Otherwise it's a matter of finding the right parts, or a rebuild kit. I did a google and there are people around (in NZ) who apparently test and rebuild them. In fact one is right on the same road that I work on (in Auckland), although I have never used them.

· Registered
2,914 Posts
The injector light doesn't mean there's a problem with the fuel injectors, it's the olden days equivalent of a check engine light. It's telling you there's a problem somewhere within the engine management system.

Most common suspects are maybe air flow meters and lambda sensors, but it could be anything.

No Alfa boxer engine has direct fuel injection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts