Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last three or four cars i've sold have all been either sold to traders or part-ex'ed.

It's been a long time since I've sold one, private sale, at my door. Back in those days I only ever had cheapo cars so when I did sell them counting a few twenty pound notes was easy peasy.

When it comes time to sell my C6 I'm tempted to try a private sale but am wondering what the deal is with receiving readies these days. I would hope the car should be worth something in the territory of £8k and don't fancy the risk of keeping that much cash in the house overnight. Do punters even carry around that sort of money?

I'm also reluctant to accept a banker's draft as I've read so many scare stories about them being counterfeited.

What do other peeps do?

·
Registered
37,774 Posts
Either take cash, or phone the banks name on the bank draft to check it is genuine before letting the car go.

If the buyer is genuine he won't mind you checking everything out or waiting a day or two for the Draft to be paid into a bank.

·
Registered
180 Posts
both seller and buyer go to your bank with the cash and get it counted by them,there are loads of fake £20 around at the moment

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yeah cash is king ... I must admit to feeling nervous carrying around £10K in cash when I bought my GT a while back, I was more worried about losing it than anything.

The other way to do it is go to the buyers bank with him and do an instant transfer. If you do internet banking you can usually set up an alert or somthing so your phone gets a text when a deposit of over a certain amount is received. Unless of course you bank with Santander who are sh1te...

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
both seller and buyer go to your bank with the cash and get it counted by them,there are loads of fake £20 around at the moment
That is one good way. :)
The best way IMO is to both go to the bank on the day of collection and do a transfer. There may well be a cost involved that you both agree to pay. Once completed and secure the new owner can go on his or her way :thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts