Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first Alfa this afternoon, the 1.3 diesel (2010). Within half an hour of driving away and filling up with fuel I got a message on the dash saying that the power steering is unavailable? I've been reading other threads etc, and see that this is a common fault? I managed to drive it the 100 miles home without it working, but wondering what I'm best off doing now?

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just picked up my first Alfa this afternoon, the 1.3 diesel (2010). Within half an hour of driving away and filling up with fuel I got a message on the dash saying that the power steering is unavailable? I've been reading other threads etc, and see that this is a common fault? I managed to drive it the 100 miles home without it working, but wondering what I'm best off doing now?
Did you restart the engine after it happened?
How did it happen? Cruising down the motorway or at low speeds (like parking lot or turning out on a road)?
How old is the battery?

This is a common fault, which in the vast majority of cases is caused by a bad battery that can't deliver the voltage/current needed to run the electric steering. In situations where the load on the battery is high, it can dip and produce this fault. First step is always to check and/or replace an old battery. If the problem persists, you can have it rebuilt for £100-150 or so. I haven't changed it myself (yet) but it's a bit annoying to get at but perfectly DIY:able according to others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you restart the engine after it happened?
How did it happen? Cruising down the motorway or at low speeds (like parking lot or turning out on a road)?
How old is the battery?
I switched it off and left it for 5 - 10 mins, then tried again, and it worked for a few seconds before flashing up again. I was going round a corner on a country road, so around 40 - 50mph, maybe? I'm not sure when the battery was last changed, but I think it has been sat for a while before I bought it, which with the current temps etc, can't have helped lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
I switched it off and left it for 5 - 10 mins, then tried again, and it worked for a few seconds before flashing up again. I was going round a corner on a country road, so around 40 - 50mph, maybe? I'm not sure when the battery was last changed, but I think it has been sat for a while before I bought it, which with the current temps etc, can't have helped lol
I'd give this a read:
https://www.mitoregister.com/filead..._Useful_Info/MiTo_Power_Steering_Guide_v3.pdf

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any idea of the best battery to get?
I've got another link for that haha!
https://www.mitoregister.com/filead..._Guides_Useful_Info/MiTo_Battery_Guide_v1.pdf

But it kinda sounds like you should consider that the steering unit has to be replaced. I've never had the problem persist after restarting the car, and it has never appeared while driving at speed. Mine was solved by changing the battery. I might be replacing it in the future if the problem comes back, just to be sure.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning *touch wood* it's worked fine for the 40 mile - 1 hour drive to work, which is weird. Going to try the battery first, as it doesn't look a decent one, and is quite old.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As you noted - if the car was sitting not being driven much (and/or only doing short drives) before you picked it up and it was cold then its state of charge and performance may have been a bit low. The long drive since and being a bit warmer may have helped since.

When I had a steering corrector error pop up a couple of years ago my car had been barely used over the prior month. Weirdly the error didn't crop up in the initial 20 mile journey going to somewhere, but then when I drove back a few hours later it errored about 5 minutes after setting off, cleared on turning car off and on again, and then errored again 5-10 minutes later. When I checked the battery voltage the following day it was a bit low - I fully charged the battery with a ctek charger and the car was fine for a couple of 30 mile journeys I did after that but as the battery was 7 years old the battery voltage after charging was still a bit down due to age I just replaced it the following week. Seems to have behaved itself since, touch wood :).

Fingers crossed a fresh battery stops a repeat occurrence for you!

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it's been sitting on a forecourt it's probably going to be the battery, mine did this when I picked it up from the dealer. You might want to check the tyre pressures as this can cause it as well, mine went three times on the way home from picking it up, after the second time it went again almost straight away, when I checked the tyre pressure in the fronts they were at 23 psi not 2.3 bar, pumped them up and it was fine after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies ? new battery tomorrow, so we'll see what happens! I'll check the tyres, too!

Other than this happening, I quite like the Mito!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts