Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,

My 166 facelift is gone. Sold for £2800, 3 months after buying it for £5000. It was my first Alfa Romeo, and sadly will be my last. I can confidently say it was the worst car I've ever owned, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and from this experience it seems glaring to me that what 'they say' about Alfas is true. You either love them and get hooked, or they ruin you and leave a horrible taste in your mouth. Guess which camp I fit into.

Keep in mind I've owned 3 Rover 800s, 2 Land Rover Defenders, an ancient Audi Coupe and a bent Triumph Tr7 among other things - This car was much, much less reliable and far less entertaining than anything I have owned before. I'VE OWNED A TRIUMPH TR7. Seriously...

I'm currently driving a Rover Vitesse (being Alfa drivers you'll be scoffing and making fun of the old girl right now)... but guess what? It's much more fun, and in a straight line would absolutely destroy the T-Spark and leave the V6 panting in its dust. Just thought I'd mention that for good measure. OK it doesn't look or sound as glamorous. But I've had it for 2 months and nothing's broken, and from past experience I know nothing will break. Plus, it's faster than your 166.

This will make me deeply unpopular and I'm sure you all assume I won't be checking back to observe the replies. You'd be right. So feel free to use this thread to rant about non-believers. Or, you could say (in a suprisingly apt metaphor), automotive atheists. Hopefully I'll have started off a nice juicy thread for you to sink your teeth into.

I don't care about being seen as an 'Alfa Romeo' man anymore - the classics are lovely, yes, but to me modern Alfa drivers just look materialistic and too well-groomed. I choose the manlier path.

Now, where did I put the keys to my Defender...

By the way, the pre-facelift car is cats-*** ugly.

Cheerio.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So you had a bad experience with one car from which you have denounced the whole marque :confused:

If I did the same then I'd pretty much hate every car maker out there. For balance, various Rovers that I've known of (through friends or family) have been utter heaps. There's bad 'uns and good 'uns of every marque. Clearly, you were unfortunate.

Additionally, some of the attitude in that post is uncalled for IMO.

R

·
0 Posts
Each to his own!! As for modern alfa drivers?? If i'm materialistic sorry!! but well groomed??? Thankyou my friend!!!:lol:

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Ladies and Gents,

My 166 facelift is gone. Sold for £2800, 3 months after buying it for £5000. It was my first Alfa Romeo, and sadly will be my last. I can confidently say it was the worst car I've ever owned, everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and from this experience it seems glaring to me that what 'they say' about Alfas is true. You either love them and get hooked, or they ruin you and leave a horrible taste in your mouth. Guess which camp I fit into.

Keep in mind I've owned 3 Rover 800s, 2 Land Rover Defenders, an ancient Audi Coupe and a bent Triumph Tr7 among other things - This car was much, much less reliable and far less entertaining than anything I have owned before. I'VE OWNED A TRIUMPH TR7. Seriously...

I'm currently driving a Rover Vitesse (being Alfa drivers you'll be scoffing and making fun of the old girl right now)... but guess what? It's much more fun, and in a straight line would absolutely destroy the T-Spark and leave the V6 panting in its dust. Just thought I'd mention that for good measure. OK it doesn't look or sound as glamorous. But I've had it for 2 months and nothing's broken, and from past experience I know nothing will break. Plus, it's faster than your 166.

This will make me deeply unpopular and I'm sure you all assume I won't be checking back to observe the replies. You'd be right. So feel free to use this thread to rant about non-believers. Or, you could say (in a suprisingly apt metaphor), automotive atheists. Hopefully I'll have started off a nice juicy thread for you to sink your teeth into.

I don't care about being seen as an 'Alfa Romeo' man anymore - the classics are lovely, yes, but to me modern Alfa drivers just look materialistic and too well-groomed. I choose the manlier path.

Now, where did I put the keys to my Defender...

Cheerio.
:wow:

My God Chris I am sorry that my PM has lit the blue touch paper.

I only asked if you had sold it.

It did fit my criteria in 1 respect.

Most of us ..well a few arrived here via the Rover 800 series...yep braw motors but as I have covered before if you try a search you appear to be going back the way.

I am sure I quoted what my late father saw when he saw Pomeo for the first time....He also saw what was left of my Rover 827...Wish I had kept that engine tho.A156156166 would have had some motor then.

I always fancied a TR7 as my pal had one all those years ago but I did prefe my Stag but that's another story.

Pity it's away tho as I had 30 brand new RBS £1 notes waiting:lol:

Pomeo

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Hey where are all these interlopers coming from?

Pomeo

·
Registered
827 Posts
Surely the point of posting this is to make a point and observe a reaction?

Therefore seeing as you don't plan on coming back, it was fairly pointless-especially on a forum full of enthusiasts who love owning and driving their Alfas. I can't see this being taken seriously at all.
Also, like people have already said...dismissing the entire marque due to your experiences with one car is a bit silly.
As for your vitesse 'leaving the v6 166 panting in its dust'... i don't think any further comment here is needed. I certainly laughed at this though :)

Anyways...tarra :)

Haydn

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
My 166 facelift is gone. Sold for £2800, 3 months after buying it for £5000.

Cheerio.
:wow::wow::wow:

Now that is bucking the trend.....All facelifts are supposed to be appreciating in value.

Now thats nigh on 50 percent in 3 months.

A helluva lot of us on here think yer wrang.

Youv'e made a big mistake..massive...well at least 3.2k.(Partila quote pretty wummin)

Pomeo

K

·
0 Posts
The fact you're still online at the time of this post tells me you are in fact reading replies. ;)

Good luck with your new ride and sorry to hear your Alfa ownership experience didn't work out. :)

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulia Super
2,640 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I promise I'll keep smiling even after you beat me to the next red light in your Rover. I'll keep smiling because I own a great car, a pre-facelift Alfa Romeo 166 with a 3l V6 engine.

R

·
0 Posts
So you bought an old Alfa and it broke ? oh dear thats a shame, so now you have an old Rover and its been great for 8 weeks, wow I am impressed, have you considered buying a modern car with a warranty ? may save you getting your blood pressure up :lol:

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
some ya win .....and some ya loose :rolleyes:

evening Ray fella ...how's tricks lad :D

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Guys this is the 166 lounge.....no the rant room
its usually deader than 10 dodos in here.

Pomeo

on 2nd thoughts stick aroon.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
im well groomed then and a bit overly intouch with my girly side:cheese::lol:

wish my mrs thought that:cheese:

good luck with your manly car hunting, you manly person you, :cheese: *blushing now, waving a fan etc*

its ok, you can go and throw your toys out of the pram somewhere else,

*restraint off*

you childish, immature, egotistical, ignornant muppet:upyours2::clap::lol:

*restraint on*

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
Hey bradders, not bad mate hows things in the cold Northern hemisphere ? last time I was up your end I nearly got snowed in :lol:
I've not long been in mate... been freezing my wotsits of watching my lad loose 2-1 :lol:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts