Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following an essential Q2 upgrade (the gearbox has already been replaced once after diff exploded and punctured the gear housing at <15k), I was amazed at the GT's transformation. Following the above upgrade, the feel of the car has been transformed yet again. The Koni FSD \ Eibach combination is well-documented around the site. Here are just my own impressions of the suspension upgrade. In a word, impressive. As ever, Ned and the team at Autolusso did the work, and nicely done it is. Cheers! (Sadly no loan of the 156 V6 this time round, but the Peugeot's got a nice sun roof).

a) No nosedive, smooth and more controlled braking to stationary position

b) Car accelerates more directly, and smoothly, there is no frequency resonance of the body between acceleration\ deceleration - it is more composed.

c) The crashyness drive on your typical B-road has been removed. It feels well planted over bumpy roads, and you don't get undue vibration in the cabin. You'll be taken back by how quickly you accumulate speed.

d) I can drive over road humps at 30mph :thumbs: , where previously I had to slow down to 20mph (in both scenarios with the engine's under-tray fitted and still intact) - this is a real plus as all GT drivers are no doubt aware.

e) Even better control on cornering (Q2 acknowledged as significant improvement). The tighter feel to the car accentuates feedback through the steering column, leading to a more confident drive.

f) Poor road surfaces feel better (a lot more bearable) and as a result less (total loss) of the soundtrack accompaniment of rattling and creaking of various components of the interior fittings.

g) In terms of the hung height of the car's shell, it appears to have dropped at the back by at least 25mm, whereas the front is perceivably a lot less of a difference, but still has dropped by a few mms. See below picture for comparison between two GTs, same 18"s and engine, (no difference other than standard v. Koni\ Eibach)

h) Overall, yes, it's a bl***y good job, and well worth it. You can catch sight of the springs just over the top edge of the tyre in the wheel housing, and I have to say the springs are so much larger than the stds fitted. i) Lastly just to add I have probably understated the transformation given these comments above. :wow:

I guess this is number two on the essential list of upgrades after Q2...especially if you have got those bush creaks on your GT (which will probably have circa 40k+ on the clock).

So here it is cleaned up after its first new suspension week with a wash, polish and wax. (no clay bar, just microfibre cloth). I’ll be monitoring the body’s height and feel as the setup wears in.
:)

03.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

00.jpg

P5020355.jpg

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
stunning looking car :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,293 Posts
What Pat said :thumbs:

I love the FSDs and Eibachs as well, a brilliant combination.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. Have been considering the same mod and it is difficult to justify without this kind of decent feedback

Dominic

·
Registered
568 Posts
I bought my 156 selespeed with this upgrade already fitted. I have a standard 156 also and there is no comparison on the handling difference between the two. I have fitted Bridgestone E300 Turanza and the handling has improved again and this in wet or dry conditions.
Comfort has been sacrificed though and for normal road use is it really worth it???

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your comments. I think the comfort level for the upgrade is subjective and difficult to rate, though easy to qualify. For example, now my GT undoubtedly has more ride comfort, over the standard setup. If, at least, I don't cringe and feel the car's pain when going over poor roads and feeling every crack in the surface! Although it has diminished the effect of the road's condition, I have to say that I get less feedback from bad roads driving a small VW (e.g. a Ludo), or perhaps better still, a 15 year old Peugeot 406 I borrowed off Ned. In that thing, you can drive serenely over the poorest of roads, almost unknowingly.

The important point is that this upgrade significantly enhances the driving comfort of a heavy-engined Alfa. That's why I believe the upgrade is well suited to the models with big Alfa engines e.g. 3.2\ 2.4 It does a good job of negating the extra weight which you carry around in compromise for the performance. Driving at 30mph over a poorly maintained road, you would feel more serene in a small car with dinky 10" wheels on it. But it's not about that is it!!!

From another angle, I feel the normal driving experience is better than that of a Brera S. Remember the S has the same springs, but Bilstein dampers. On the same roads I get more out of the GT, yet also more comfort...it is a lot more tolerable. The Bilsteins were far too harsh for me for day-to-day. I would not know how they would compare round a track.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
A great write up.

I really need to stop beating around the bush and go for this set up, it's just so bloody expensive.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I've put Koni FSDs along with Eibach ProKit, Q2 and also GTA ARBs on my 147 JTDm, and all I can say is that I agree 100% with everything in first post of this thread.
It is not a cheap upgrade, but it is worth every penny.

G

·
0 Posts
I was speaking to Ned about this on Thursday and was going to get in contact with you personally to get your thoughts.

It seems my mind is made up, just need to find the £1000+.

If I do it then it'll make sense to do the bushes at the same time so that's even more money. :(

Thanks for the review.:)

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I've been wanting to do this mod for some time. But with Q2 the total price is cringing but I know I've got to do it! Ned I will give you a call on this when 'the boss' has been convinced:lol:

Your GT looks perfect by the way - the drop with Eibachs look spot-on. I have Eibachs/Koni sports on the Spider and looks good in just the same way, with a huge improvement in handling and also comfort.

Why oh why can't Alfa fit a decent set-up on their cars in the first place? The answer: money, money, money; accountants, accountants, accountants; PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats sweet!!

can someone direct me on how i can post a new topic? im new to Alfa owner and so far have only been able to introduce myself??

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was speaking to Ned about this on Thursday and was going to get in contact with you personally to get your thoughts.
Yes, Ned mentioned he had given my number to you Tom. You're welcome to try my GT for your own opinion. The roads round here are perfect since they are so bad. Ned's 156 has exactly the same feel, as well, as you would imagine with the same setup.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have this setup on my 147 GTA. now they have settled in I still find the car a bit difficult on the b roads here in Scotland. It’s just at the end of travel, should I get better bump stops? if so from where? I have considered putting the old springs on again as I think the piston in the damper is bottoming out before the bump stops have any effect because the FSD has travel for std. springs. Has anyone got any info. that might help me? I am also looking for a one stop shop in Glasgow that has 4 wheel alignment knowledge of this setup and can make mine as good as other peoples, any ideas?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
g) In terms of the hung height of the car's shell, it appears to have dropped at the back by at least 25mm, whereas the front is perceivably a lot less of a difference, but still has dropped by a few mms.
^^^ this is the case with the V6, shared by myself and others. the front is actually already quite low, and the minimum clearance below the undertray is already less than 100mm from the factory.

i still wanted 'lower', because it didn't look quite right despite the Eibach Pro Kit springs fitted. so i had my damper-fork connection modified by the local KONI distributor here in australia.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL97/467659/18994705/302919615.jpg

if you want the front lower, you could have this done too.

great upgrades for your though. enjoy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do not think that modification would be practical for the road surfaces we are used to here. Where the hole has been elongated for the securing bolt through the fork's clamp...this may be prone to slip\ play? (I appreciate force is applied most of the time down the damper's stem, but forces will act in opposite direction along undulating surfaces, or if the bolt gets a tad loose...btw, am no mechanical engineer!)

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Where the hole has been elongated for the securing bolt through the fork's clamp...this may be prone to slip\ play?
should be ok - and no issues thus far at all.

where the damper slots into the fork, the damper tapers inwards slightly, and therefore bulges out slightly as it exits the fork above. so there is no way the damper can 'collapse inwards'. the securing bolt merely aides clamping it into position.

the modification therefore required 2 processes:
1. elongating the hole for the bolt
2. shaving off around the top of the fork to allow the damper to slot in further

it resulted in the front being lowered about 15~20mm overall. but yes, the undertray now scrapes if there's a sudden big dip in the road surface, so i have to be a bit careful. nothing major.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a question AroadForMyGt after Koni FSD \ Eibach combination what was your suspension align values everyone is talking about negative camber problem. what configs did the people from Autolusso put on your GT are you running -2 camber if so did you notice any major issue with tyre wear.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts