Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Corbo. I know you posted this some weeks ago but I thought I'd let you and others know that I will be trying them out next week. I have just bought a 2005 156 1.9jtd multijet and am collecting it next Monday.:cool:

I am taking it straight into Bensport for cambelt, waterpump and full service. I had a chat with them on the phone and they sound like real Alfa lovers and seem to know their stuff. I will update furher once I have had the work done, hopefully to my satisfaction! Just for info they are charging £350 for the lot, including new tensioner, idler and all filters.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Corbo. I know you posted this some weeks ago but I thought I'd let you and others know that I will be trying them out next week. I have just bought a 2005 156 1.6jtd multijet and am collecting it next Monday.:cool:

I am taking it straight into Bensport for cambelt, waterpump and full service. I had a chat with them on the phone and they sound like real Alfa lovers and seem to know their stuff. I will update furher once I have had the work done, hopefully to my satisfaction! Just for info they are charging £350 for the lot, including new tensioner, idler and all filters.
Good stuff, I'll be interested to hear your experience with them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok, update time. I picked her up today after dropping her off yesterday late morning. Top blokes, a father and son business, Rob and Andy. They really seem to know their stuff. The only negatives in the experiences was the price they originally quoted was for pattern parts and I wanted Alfa so it ended up costing £452 which was all parts except 4 hours labour at £38 p/h. Still a good £150 less than the local Alfa dealer quoted though.

Also, they found a couple of problems which I am now going to have an arm wrestle with the dealer over. The rubber pipe linking the turbo with the intercooler has a split, not losing pressure at the moment but needs doing. Not a long job but £66 for the part from Mangelotsi which seems a lot for a rubber hose, but there you go.:eek: Also, the discs were quite badly worn so they recommend a new set of discs and pads all round:eek: I told the dealer I wasn't impressed with the brakes so I hope to get something back for that.

Overall though, I would definitely recommend Bensport for anyone in the Somerset area. They are in Ilton which is not far from Taunton.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the update, I'll definately give them a shot for my next service, they sound like a good find.

J

·
0 Posts
thanks for the comments guys, its always good to find indys who offer good service and good value

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used them to change the front disks and pads the other day. It was all very well done, got a courtsey car from them as well.
The car needs a bit more work on it but it's not critical at the moment so I will probably take it back at some point.

R

·
0 Posts
Just spoken to these guys and they quoted me £260, this is for Cambelt, tensioners, waterpump and 36k service !!! This is too good to be true :).

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's not bad at all.
I paid £235 to change the front discs and pads, free up a calliper and replace a rear taillight.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps I should ask them for commision ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just spoken to these guys and they quoted me £260, this is for Cambelt, tensioners, waterpump and 36k service !!! This is too good to be true :).
You might want to check if they are quoting for Alfa parts. Like I posted last week (above), when I picked mine up the bill was around £100 more that I was expecting because I had indicated I wanted genuine Alfa parts and this wasn't made very clear.

Not putting you off using them though, they are very genuine guys and I'm going back there this week to get my brake discs and pads done.:thumbs: Will be getting their 147 TS courtesy car again as well:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might want to check if they are quoting for Alfa parts. Like I posted last week (above), when I picked mine up the bill was around £100 more that I was expecting because I had indicated I wanted genuine Alfa parts and this wasn't made very clear.

Not putting you off using them though, they are very genuine guys and I'm going back there this week to get my brake discs and pads done.:thumbs: Will be getting their 147 TS courtesy car again as well:D

How much did they quote you for the brakes?

·
Registered
205 Posts
How much did they quote you for the brakes?
A bit of a long story.... the original quote they gave me includes another job they are doing so hard to quantify exactly what the brake charges were....and then I got another quote from a supplier from work who undercut them but to be fair when I phoned back they sharpened their pencil to keep the work... and now they just phoned me to say the discs that they were sent were wrong as my model has the GTA discs which are around another £20 more.:(

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now!!:lol:

So anyway, I think the price is now something like £303 for Delphi front discs and pads and another brand (unknown for now) from Alfa workshop for the rears to replace the wrong Delphis that were sent. Bob tells me they are charging cost price on the parts. All dealings so far have been have been courteous, friendly and thoroughly professional. I will update again when the brakes are done.:)

R

·
0 Posts
Ok been down to visit them this morning, after a bit of a chat and realising that they know their stuff I have booked the car in on Monday for the 36k service, cambelt etc, will report back once its done :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
A bit of a long story.... the original quote they gave me includes another job they are doing so hard to quantify exactly what the brake charges were....and then I got another quote from a supplier from work who undercut them but to be fair when I phoned back they sharpened their pencil to keep the work... and now they just phoned me to say the discs that they were sent were wrong as my model has the GTA discs which are around another £20 more.:(

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now!!:lol:

So anyway, I think the price is now something like £303 for Delphi front discs and pads and another brand (unknown for now) from Alfa workshop for the rears to replace the wrong Delphis that were sent. Bob tells me they are charging cost price on the parts. All dealings so far have been have been courteous, friendly and thoroughly professional. I will update again when the brakes are done.:)
Update - picked it up today, brakes and discs all done and turbo intercooler pipe which had a small split in it. Absolutely first class job, really really impressed. I am now hoping not to need to go back again for a few months ;) but will go to them for the next job undoubtedly. I can recommend them unreservedly.:thumbs::D

For info, after some problems with their suppliers Bob said he was probably going to stick to Mangelotsi for Alfa parts and Alfa Workshop for pattern. (He had to scramble around for some rear pads after discovering the local motor factor had supplied the wrong ones)

R

·
0 Posts
Ok here is the report from my dealings with Bensport Alfa.

My wife dropped the car off this morning and they gave her a 147 as a courtesy car. At 16.30 I picked the car up. The car had a Cambelt, tensioners, idler and new water pump and a 36k service ( genuine Alfa parts as well !! ) The car is running as sweet as it ever has.

Now the crunch, total cost ???? £ 230.70p ! yes that is correct £230.70p, I asked if they had made a mistake as that price is lets say very very cheap. But thats all they wanted.

I would urge anyone needing work done to their Alfa in this area to give them a call, absolutely first class service from a very knowledgable pair, these guys deserve the business and at those prices who could complain.

:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone have details on this place? Cant get onto their website, page cant be found when I google
it either. Where in Somerset are they please?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 49 Posts