Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this forum and it's good to qualify at last!!! After deciding not to go for a new mito which I would have had to get a loan for, I bought a used brera on sat for cash which I collect on thurs! Very excited but it would also be more than fair to say that it was an impulse buy and a case of 'heart most definitely ruling head'.... It's a 2006 nov 56 plate with fsh and one years Mot and tax. 42,000 on the clock... 2.2 sv jts petrol. The catch is that it has just come out of the alfa warranty ... help!! So in brief, I have been quoted £600 for one year and that's scary, but then again, if I've been really unlucky and this turns out to be an unreliable car then I'll have spent my money well ... But only time will tell I guess. My 'post buy' research shows nothing untoward with the 56 plate in terms of common (expensive' faults. I'm not looking for answers here... Just sharing my situation really and would welcome comments based on your experiences. All that said... I am absolutely delighted to ownan alfa again, (had a 156 some years ago). Thanks for Reading, jane

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

I think the warranty is a good plan. I'm of the opinion that owning a modern, complex car out of warranty is a quick road to financial ruin. I also think that being a relatively early example means you might have a few issues to deal with, if they haven't been sorted already (see the thread on premature steering rack wear for instance). Having owned an 06 159 I have a wee bit of experience on this :p

Sorry, you probably wanted someone to say everything will be alright! I do guarantee you'll have great fun in the car and smile at it every time you see it :D

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Hi Jane and welcome to AO!

Congrats on buying the Brera, and i'm sure you'll love it! :thumbs:

I take it you have bought it privately or from a non alfa dealer then? Normally you'd get 12 months Alfa used warranty if bought from the dealership network...

The 2.2's are rock solid and only have niggles, rather than out and out faults... Rocking drivers seats, windscreen creak, air from frameless windows, slight hesitation at low revs, and tyre wear are the most documented on here. Do a quick search in this lounge and you'll see they're all easily fixed, if that is they haven't already been addressed of course...

Enjoy driving one of the best looking cars on the road :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
You did exactly what I should have done in the first place! After buying my Mito it looks like im probably going to swap it for a 2.2 Brera this weekend :lol:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You've all helped enormously, lots of food for thought and no doubt further posts!! Thankyou for the help and warm welcome. Jane

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Welcome Jane!

I bought a late 07 Spider in April 09. It had 11,000 on the clock and now has 24,000!

It had pretty bad hesitation at low revs but I had the Mangoletsi Mod 4 done in September and it completely transformed the car. :thumbs: (no, I'm not on Mango's payroll!)

Good luck with your Brera, I'm sure you'll love it :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Is the warranty an Alfa one?
Just bought a Alfa Care Premium package for my 06 159 lusso jtdm and that only cost £370? how come warranty was £600 is it more for a Brera???:confused:

G

·
If it's 56 plate, any major niggles would probably have been sorted, and the mileage seems reasonable showing it's been used. I don't think modern Alfa's are any more of a worry than any other manufacture when buying second hand. Enjoy!:)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
its thursday - where are our pics? oooh, wait... your out enjoying your car! how selfish :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OMG driving it is better than s*x!! Pics to follow at weekend .... Couldn't love it any more than I do. Getting LOADS of stick from the guys at work for owning an alfa tho' .... talk about taking the mick! Green eyed monster I reckon! The only negative is the very scary way the fuel guage goes down before my very eyes! Knew it would be thirstier than my Peugeot 307cc but kind of blocked it from my mind and hoped it wouldn't be too bad ... Ho hum!

G

·
Don't worry about people looking at you all the time when you drive it.
Perfectly normal. It's called the "Brera Effect". ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts