Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. Having now had the car for a year, it was decided that it was due a service. What a mission changing the plugs is! I'm not the best mechanic, but i'm not too bad, but it took best part of 5 hours yesterday, granted i stopped for dinner, but still! Nevermind, my chrome is nice and clean now! Oil change next then...any bets on how long that might take me?!:lol:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
LOL - I was too lazy and took mine to Mike lol. It is satisfying when you do it yourself though.

He didn't charge too much to do the plugs at the service I had a couple of months ago.

...........I may give it a try on the g/f's GTV at some point though :) Not Sure - or it may go to Mike if as usual I don't have the time :S

Get your manifold leak sorted yet?

J

·
0 Posts
I found the hardest part on my V6 was relocating the plenum for some reason :confused: - I ended up leaving it overnight & in the morning it just 'plopped' into place :lol:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price he quoted made me decide to do it myself! Manifold is next, just need to call autolusso as they have a spare one i can have, then i can swap then over. I have also started to fix my broken ashtray..by mixing some strong glue and basically forming a new frame so it can be refitted. I hope it works!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
You are braver than me! I could just about manage fixing the ashtray and thats about my limit :eek:

I would take it to the garage myself to save on the cut knuckles but good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yes I don't think the removing of the manifold is easy :

I know they charge a lot of labour for changing it with a s/s exhaust arrangement. Time you take the heat shiedling off and graze your knuckles I think I'd rather do some hard grind.

Top marks for at least trying though.

N

·
0 Posts
Wow. Having now had the car for a year, it was decided that it was due a service. What a mission changing the plugs is! I'm not the best mechanic, but i'm not too bad, but it took best part of 5 hours yesterday, granted i stopped for dinner, but still! Nevermind, my chrome is nice and clean now! Oil change next then...any bets on how long that might take me?!:lol:
Good Job doing it yourself, no point taking it to a mechanic for simple jobs like this as there is no value added. Most reputable Alfa garages don't even know the correct spark plug gap.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ashtray fix worked a treat :)

I covered the broken bit in sellotape, filled the area with araldite (not sure how to spell that one) so it formed a puddle, then re-drilled the hole, and fitted it. Easy. I cant believe I had not fixed it in the last year! Result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts