Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drives the air con and . . .?
Mines squeeling like a stuck pig when the engine's warm. Is it doing any harm?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Also things like power steering pump, water pump, alternator.
Squeeking won't do any harm, but you might want to find out why - if it breaks (or the tensioner goes) it can take out your cambelt at the same time :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, it's booked in Saturday morning for some other jobs, I'll ask them to look at it :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The belt shouldn't squeal as it's on a self-tensioning tensioner. Belts normally squeal when they're a bit dry and a bit loose on a manually adjusted set-up. You can sometimes quieten a squeaky belt by giving it a spray of WD40 but it's more likely to be one of the pulleys. There is one pulley that is just an idler .. it just helps the belt routing.. and its spindle may be slightly sticking (metal on metal).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Also things like power steering pump, water pump, alternator.
Squeeking won't do any harm, but you might want to find out why - if it breaks (or the tensioner goes) it can take out your cambelt at the same time :(
Not the water pump, this is driven by the cambelt.

My aux belt was squeky and I used WD40 to keep it quiet until it decided to disintegrate. I believe the WD40 may have helped here :mad:

As you said, it did take the cam belt with it,

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye! WD40 has kerosene in it, so if the belt is starting to go hard it will help the process of disintegration because it makes it a bit supple and more likely to bend than when it was dry. WD40 doesn't attack the rubber itself.. but if the belt is stiff and not flexing, the last thing it wants is something to make it flex against its will.

A failing belt is easily visible though, so no excuse I'm afraid. Peek down the side of the engine between the o/side wheel arch and you will see the inside of the belt run. If it has any cracks going transverserly across if (perpendicular to the sprocket grooves) then it's handed its notice in. Change it before it goes AWOL.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got it booked in for Saturday. Incidentally, has anyone heard of Hycote 'Belt Slip' Anti-Slip compound? Is it basically WD-40 in a different can?
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye! A new belt is quite tacky so will grip the steel belts quite readily. I'm not a fan of putting anything on the belt, though WD40 is useful to prove if it's the belt squealing or not when you're trying to trace it..

Anti-slip compound.. I dunno. I guess it might have some lubricant in it (kerosene as in WD40 is slightly oily) or it might be a solvent like xylene (contact cleaner) which cleans crud off the rubber and allows it to grip again. I guess it's "rubber safe"... but you never quite know.. :eek:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Aye! A new belt is quite tacky so will grip the steel belts quite readily. I'm not a fan of putting anything on the belt, though WD40 is useful to prove if it's the belt squealing or not when you're trying to trace it.
TIP: You can just use plain tap water to determine if a belt is squealing by spraying it directly onto the ribbed side of the belt as it's rotating. Just use one of those garden spray bottles you can get at any DIY store :) Using water means there is no danger of any possible chemical attack on the belt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a quick question, does the 1.6 use the same aux belt as the 2 litre? As shop4parts only have one for the 2 litre but do the adjustable tensioner for a 1.6... thanks

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
yes true, but a damn aux belt failure ending in 16 bend valves?? :mad:
Highly unlikely. The auxiliary belt runs outside the cam belt covers so if it was to snap it wouldn't be able to get tangled with the cam belt. The covers are pretty strong so even if the aux belt was to snap violently, in 99% of cases the cam belt covers would protect the cam belt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just a quick question, does the 1.6 use the same aux belt as the 2 litre? As shop4parts only have one for the 2 litre but do the adjustable tensioner for a 1.6... thanks
Does anybody know? Sorry just need to order the parts asap! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Highly unlikely. The auxiliary belt runs outside the cam belt covers so if it was to snap it wouldn't be able to get tangled with the cam belt. The covers are pretty strong so even if the aux belt was to snap violently, in 99% of cases the cam belt covers would protect the cam belt.
a picture equals a thousand words:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
a picture equals a thousand words:
If that's a picture of a broken cam belt cover caused by a snapped auxiliary belt then it is one of the rare 1% of cases. And it doesn't look like it damaged the cam belt in that case so the owner was lucky :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's a picture of my aux belt that came off the pulley (did not snap, and apologies to usualdog for hijacking his thread), got between the pulley and the cam belt cover, broke it, presumably a thread was torn off by a sharp edge, passed through the balancing belt and got pulled by the crankshaft driving gear. The timing belt did not snap but it jumped enough teeth to do this:

Maybe less that 1%, but it did happen :mad:, so people be careful with aux belts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts