1 - 20 of 26 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My window tried to self seal :(

I heard a loud bang and it just dropped :(

Managed to get the door card off and found this :eek:

Any suggestions :confused: garage or would I be able to repair it myself at the minute the Cup is secure with the battery disconected to stop the adjustment motor flattening the battery. :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Bad luck :(

Has it snapped off though?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No there's no damage to that part :confused:

I think maybe the mounting bolts have sheared :(

but I don't want to take the door apart unless it's relatively easy to put it all back together.

might just opt for the local guy to fix it

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I fitted a new window regulator to my wife's Landrover just after Crhistmas - it was relatively easy, but quite time consuming as I had't done it before. I also had the advantage of a garage to work in. Might have been more of a problem if I had to try and fix it outside - and it had started raining :(

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Looks like the spot welds have failed. Probably no space for bolts, it might braze back on, if you can get the other part it should be fixed to
far enough away from the car.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers keith You're right

I just checked the paper work I bought it in june last year and it had a 12month warranty off to MANGO'S you go :(

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Sorry I was bored...........:lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Agree with KG, can you manage to get 3 blobs of Mig on it. Probably need to take the mechanism out I suppose, or fire proof everwhere first. What a bummer though!!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Using Mig you'd have to drill through one bit or 'tother, then clamp accurately, before migging in through the 3 holes. Challenge?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Using Mig you'd have to drill through one
Hey ZF, what have Russian aircraft got to do with this?
Anyway, if it was one of mine I would silver braze it, as that is the best I could do with what I have here. HM reckons he can get it replaced, so no fun for us. As a bookkeeper I used to file up the copper electrodes on the welder, so that this didn't happen.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Like the bit on the Russkie's. I possibly thought you meant Oxy/Acet brazing, my only concern there would be upsetting the hardening,heat treatment, and making the teeth a bit soft on the quadrant, if that's what they call it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Its probably only a mild pressing, I once brazed some teeth on a Merc electric window regulator, I think it was a 600 with air suspension, great car for rough roads.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not trying to outpost or anything, but in the past have built worn quadrant teeth up, with MS rod, then case hardened With Casnite. I must have been nuts in those days, but always had a go, like Bodger seems to now.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
;) The same thing happened to my drivers window last year.The metal is fairly poor quality and the original spot welds barely sufficient on these mechanisms,while I had it out I replaced all the weak spots with stainless monobolts or high silver content brazed joints....tis solid now :cool:

..Mango's will want at least £120 for a new mechanism,perhaps more if you've got the fancy window dropping bit found on later cars.........not a bad price but enough to make me have a bash at repairing the bugger myself.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mangoletsi the oldest Alfa dealership in the UK ;)

Cheers for the pricing Flo but i've only had the car since June last year and I paid for a full mechanical 12 month warranty :D

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
HM: better look at your warranty documentation, to make sure its broad enough cover. I hope it is. Sounds like a cover from a separate company.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes it is but mango's are pretty good and it's definitly a mechanical failure.

They did the aircon and the front spoiler even though they said we shouldn't really.

They have a good reputation and are desparatly trying to keep it so fingers crossed ;)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good news and bad :(

The window will be fixed free of charge :D

The bad news only if I get the service schedule upto date and it's the 72K :( cam belts

Upshot a nice bill for £890 for the service :cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts