Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few thread regarding keys.
Unfortunately we lost the spare and I don't believe it will just turn up. So I looked at multiple threads on here, phoned Alfa, phoned locksmiths and as we probably already know they are expensive.

You can't buy a used one and have it programmed because they are a program once only device.
Currently two local (as can be with Alfa) dealers quote £333 (nice round figure) for the key and blade then its around £75-£95 for programming and code. Might be some VAT in there to be added too :(.

One dealer quoted all in £452. Now I recently sold a Ferrari F355 and it only had two keys. They used to come with a red master key. I never had that and the idea was that was used to program new keys. Well Ferrari changed the rules and you can't now use the red key anyway. The buyer was insistent and we negotiated a price based on a replacement key.
It transpires you need to buy three new fobs and throw your old away. That was a midges over £500. Still expensive but you are getting three keys so for Alfa to charge what they do seems a little silly.

I'm currently investigating (well a locksmith is) a none remote fob which you can insert into the dash that will start the car. Not sure if it is possible but it might be.

If you don't hear from me I've had no luck. I did see a thread where a company in Birmingham will do certain keys (I think my old 3 button GT with retractable blade would have been one) but they said the in dash slot key can't be done.

I don't have an issue with a couple of hundred £'s to £250 but I think £450 is frankly taking the ****.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
if your not bothered about having the remote function and just want a spare that will start the car. Then its possible to change or reset the chip in a second hand key and program it so it will start the car. (The coding for the remote is a pig)
Or the simpler option is to get a second hand key. Ditch the circuit board and replace the key blade. Then get your existing key cloned onto an emulator chip and fit that in the case so it will start the car.

Regarding the Ferrari keys they mostly use the same systems as Fiat and Alfa pretty much some with a bit of alteration but some identical F430 for example uses exactly the same immobiliser as a 156. But all the 355's I have
seen do not have an immobiliser associated with the key. The immobiliser is handled by the META remote on the 355 which incidentally is the same META remote as used on the old Ford probe.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

I will look into that for my remaining key. See below

Some house insurance policies include loss of keys Malc.....does yours?
I'll check thanks. Annoyingly I had cover on my aforementioned F355 and after a similar fiasco with my GT I intended to take one out but never got around to it. I checked my car insurance too just in case alas no :( Don't I wish I was not so lazy. This is also about a bit of a rant at the extortionate cost.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cromwell, your mail box is full.
Thanks for the post. In the event that this chap ALFA ROMEO - Auto Locksmith Stockport can't help could you or can you recommend anyone please? A key to start the car would be fine. The remote bit I'm not that bothered about. In the event I lost the remaining complete key I'd at least have a temporary backup whilst I paid up for a replacement from Alfa.

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Cromwell, your mail box is full.
Thanks for the post. In the event that this chap ALFA ROMEO - Auto Locksmith Stockport can't help could you or can you recommend anyone please? A key to start the car would be fine. The remote bit I'm not that bothered about. In the event I lost the remaining complete key I'd at least have a temporary backup whilst I paid up for a replacement from Alfa.
PM box shoud have room again subscription had run out so just paid up again.
If you went the putting an emulator chip into a second hand case its pretty straight forward to sort out. Lots of key cutters can clone your key to an emulator chip including most branches of Timpson.
It needs to be cloned onto a TPX4 emulator chip. When you ask they might scratch there heads as when you clone these normally. Part of the process involves holding the emulator chip against the original key and turning the ignition on and off 5 times. So the chip can listen in on the communications between the car and original key to record the response from the key so the crypto key can be caculated.
Obviously you can't do this with the 159 teg key. So instead take the battery out of the key and put the tpx4 inside instead. Then insert the key in the dash 5 times in a row letting everything go back to sleep between each insertion.
Once thats done just glue the tpx4 chip into a second hand key shell. For the key blade the part you want them to order for you is "Silca reference sip29t"
Below is a photo of a new 159 key and the little black thing next to it is a TPX4 emulator chip.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent, Thankyou Cromwell. I shall report back in the near future no doubt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Spider supplied to me with only one key. I was aware of this at the point of sale and negotiated a £200.00 discount. To then discover the key would cost £343.00 although that price was inclusive of VAT and programming. I did explore the other options but decided to bite the bullet and pay the money. I also got a replacement blade key and cap from carelectronica in Italy for about 22.00 euros. When I took it to a key cutter they buggered it up.

I now have two working fobs and two other additional spare access keys :biglaugh:

Full details are on my website at About

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
My Spider supplied to me with only one key. I was aware of this at the point of sale and negotiated a £200.00 discount. To then discover the key would cost £343.00 although that price was inclusive of VAT and programming. I did explore the other options but decided to bite the bullet and pay the money. I also got a replacement blade key and cap from carelectronica in Italy for about 22.00 euros. When I took it to a key cutter they buggered it up.

I now have two working fobs and two other additional spare access keys :biglaugh:

The key they buggered up did you get it sorted out? If not let me know and I can sort out another blade for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The key they buggered up did you get it sorted out? If not let me know and I can sort out another blade for it.
Amazingly the key with the hole in works fine, its only for emergency use after all and the shop did supply another (regular) key blank and that one works fine also.

Thank you for the offer though :yes:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oops forgot the photo
Any photos of how it all comes apart? I can work that out and am afraid of breaking the one I have :D.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Like the website. Will take a proper look later. My Dad is also to blame for my addiction to cars :)

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thankyou :)

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
No problem sorry about the delay. Everyone else seems to have gone on holiday so works been mayhem.
Regarding your other question in your pm about the original chip interfering with a tpx chip. Yes it would so you can either remove the circuit board completely or remove the copper coil from the circuit board and stick a tpx in its place.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,094 Posts
I bet they cant on a 159. I've been in contact with a few claiming to be able to do it.....but as soon as you mention its a 159...they change their minds!!!

·
Premium Member
Mito, 159
382 Posts
Alfa 159 can be done it’s getting your hands on the keys that’s the problem.
You can use second hand ones but it’s not ideal.
Getting some keys made is (Has been for a while but life keeps getting in the way) on my to do list.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts