Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is it that the mere sight of dog poo sends people off on crusade against dog owners, councils have notices about £1000 fines for leaving dog poo unattended etc. but it's perfectly fine for every cat in the neighbourhood to [email protected] on our lawn and chuck up on the drive? No one ever suggests that cats pooing everywhere is anything but ok. :grumpy:

Am I the only one who feels there's a bit of discrimination here?

Disclaimer: I do have a dog and do pick up the poo as I am offended by the amount lying around on pavements.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
It's not discrimination is it.
Dogs are walked (some scum let them out on their own) so it's really the fault of the human with it that the dog eggs are left lying around on pavements, playgrounds and other high use areas.

Cats do what the **** they like.

·
Registered
37,191 Posts
I can't remember the last time I stood in a cat poo whilst taking the kids to the park/playground.

Dog mess however...

My 4 year old daughter got it on her clothes the other week after some inconsiderate dog walker let their dog foul the playground (and dogs are not meant to even go in there)

She had to be completely stripped off and travel home naked in the car after being disinfected with hand sanitiser.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
I wonder whether the dynamic is this - cats are unleashed and empty themselves where they wish (either in a litter tray at home, or in a place outside so secret I’ve yet to come across it.)

Dogs, however - when outside of the family home - are often on a lead, and this confers on their owners the need to observe and act upon where they empty themselves.

Now, as for horses...

(Top country road driving tip - where there’s a horse dung, soon after that on a blind bend, there’ll be a horse.)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Local council decided to tarmac over nearly all the verges in our road, but left one stretch of grass opposite our house. We felt lucky - for half a day. No dog will now pass without pooing on it. Armies of people are bending over with plastic bags then strolling off dangling them joyously, though obviously 10% (i.e. one thousand per day) leave the poo for people to tread on.

·
Registered
37,191 Posts
There's loads of long grass and hedges around.

A dog poo could safely be left there, but they all seem to be right where people can come across them.

As for the latest trend of picking them up in a plastic bag and hanging the said bag from a tree/bush. :furious:

Picking it up in a paper bag and throwing well out of harms way might be acceptable though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't remember the last time I stood in a cat poo whilst taking the kids to the park/playground.

Dog mess however...

My 4 year old daughter got it on her clothes the other week after some inconsiderate dog walker let their dog foul the playground (and dogs are not meant to even go in there)

She had to be completely stripped off and travel home naked in the car after being disinfected with hand sanitiser.
I honestly sympathise with you on this one. There seem to be a growing number of inconsiderate dog owners. But... how would you feel if she came in from your own garden covered in cat poo (especially if you didn't have a cat yourself)?

I've just had my legs splatted after mowing the lawn and running over a dollop of the stuff. :censored: (Again!!!)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the subject of dog poo I'm also upset (understatement) that the local council actually can't be bothered to prosecute offenders despite all the notices and threats. Somebody sent them a video of owner letting dog poo and then walking off. Council not interested. It gives the responsible majority of dog owners a bad name. But that's another rant.

·
Registered
37,191 Posts
I honestly sympathise with you on this one. There seem to be a growing number of inconsiderate dog owners. But... how would you feel if she came in from your own garden covered in cat poo (especially if you didn't have a cat yourself)?

I've just had my legs splatted after mowing the lawn and running over a dollop of the stuff. :censored: (Again!!!)
We found that since getting a cat ourselves that the poo problem around our house has stopped.

Not saying you should get a cat, but you can get ultrasonic repellent devices which seem to work pretty well.

Or if you catch the cat in the act a squirt with a water pistol is a harmless deterrent for future visits.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/trancoss-Ultrasonic-Outdoor-Waterproof-Courtyard/dp/B07SG3PVBS/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=ultrasonic+cat+repeller&qid=1566722717&refinements=p_72:419153031&rnid=419152031&s=gateway&sr=8-10

·
Registered
5,089 Posts

Dog mess however...

I've just had my legs splatted after mowing the lawn and running over a dollop of the stuff.
(Again!!!)

We have had the exact same problem over the last few weeks....and I love the way this particular cat does it slap bang in the middle of the lawn.

Very little you can do but pick it up before you now the lawn.

[email protected] is [email protected] whatever animal it comes from but as said before,dogs should have their own cleaner-uppers with them ready with a bag.

I do prefer cats but they are aloof wee sods when they want to be.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
The cats round us seem to prefer a freshly prepared seedbed. This means both the mess to clear up as, while the scratch around, they never bury it properly and a gap in the row of seedlings once they come up.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Ban all cat and dog ownership without a strict licence... And only to be used for specific jobs (e.g. mouse catcher/security) so that they are more contained. Sorted!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Will licences for Black and white cats/dogs be cheaper?
Black and white cats can assist posties. Black and white cats can assist farmers, so they will be eligible, but there's no colour discrimination so no colour gets to be a different price. All will be equal!

·
Registered
14,349 Posts
Ban all cat and dog ownership without a strict licence... And only to be used for specific jobs (e.g. mouse catcher/security) so that they are more contained. Sorted!
Fine for the dog as it's a border collie and is on standby in case we get any sheep but does it matter if you actually want your cat to catch stuff? I could happily live without the dead and partially eaten mice and birds but we are quite attached to the little bugger.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have to be so careful when I get onto my drive , stepping in or out as the Foxes around here seem to love South Cerney gravel to poop on. Makes a hell of a mess in the car all clustered up in a ball of **** & stones & also always when I am late etc :grumpy:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
We have to do dog poo clear up every Saturday morning on the kids football pitch. It is gross and so unnecessary. I've got a real hate thing going at the moment against dogs. Lost so many chickens over the years to dogs coming into our garden and jumping over the electric fence and killing them. Last month, a walkers dog killed 5 in front of the kids.

I have 3 cats here, and never ever come across their poo. All buried out of the way and out of sight. The added benefit of keeping mice, squirrels, moles and rabbit populations under control.

I really do feel that dog ownership has got out of control in this country. Everyone seems to have one (or two, or three). But I seem to be in a minority - everyone loves a dog, right?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
We have to do dog poo clear up every Saturday morning on the kids football pitch. It is gross and so unnecessary. I've got a real hate thing going at the moment against dogs. Lost so many chickens over the years to dogs coming into our garden and jumping over the electric fence and killing them. Last month, a walkers dog killed 5 in front of the kids.

I have 3 cats here, and never ever come across their poo. All buried out of the way and out of sight. The added benefit of keeping mice, squirrels, moles and rabbit populations under control.

I really do feel that dog ownership has got out of control in this country. Everyone seems to have one (or two, or three). But I seem to be in a minority - everyone loves a dog, right?
I have 2 supposedly grown up children....I don't need any more hassle.
Dogs don't do it for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts