Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite simply from the DNA modes what exactly does the All weather setting do and what's your experiences like of using it? Was it any good?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
haven't needed it yet, just got my G the last week of march.

it is however faster in acceleration than natural mode, but obviously slower than [d].

Once my TCT is remapped it will be used as default, both [d] and [n] will get extra power, with [d] favouring higher rpm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The difference between D and A on snow (with winter tyres) is quite dramatic, as one would expect. In the middle of winter I came in D mode around a corner and on my surprise the road ahead was covered with snow (not just some snow here and there, but completly white). I proceeded in D and as soon as I wanted to accelerate the wheels spun because of all the power and little TC interference. So I switched to A mode. Came to a 2nd gear slow corner and to see how the A mode works I floored the throttle and then.... nothing dramatic happened.... the car started to accelerate with no wheel spin (TC working all the time) and without running wide.

This is my only experience with comparing A to other modes on the same road in the same circumstances.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The difference between D and A on snow (with winter tyres) is quite dramatic, as one would expect. In the middle of winter I came in D mode around a corner and on my surprise the road ahead was covered with snow (not just some snow here and there, but completly white). I proceeded in D and as soon as I wanted to accelerate the wheels spun because of all the power and little TC interference. So I switched to A mode. Came to a 2nd gear slow corner and to see how the A mode works I floored the throttle and then.... nothing dramatic happened.... the car started to accelerate with no wheel spin (TC working all the time) and without running wide.

This is my only experience with comparing A to other modes on the same road in the same circumstances.
This sounds like it performs well for its intended use, we have a very slippy hilly road where I live and our clio doesn't cope well in these conditions and it has put me off getting a RWD car like a BMW, it will be nice too have a car that can atleast move in snow and get me off my own street :thumbs:

Does it have any impact on steering in A mode and is there any implications/benefits of running in A daily instead of N? (I know it goes back too N at the end of every journey which is a little annoying)

[Edit] I just read on auto blog that Alfa has plans too change from the current FWD too RWD with its replacement cars set for 2015, I don't know how accurate the article is but read it here[/Edit]

D

·
0 Posts
This sounds like it performs well for its intended use, we have a very slippy hilly road where I live and our clio doesn't cope well in these conditions and it has put me off getting a RWD car like a BMW, it will be nice too have a car that can atleast move in snow and get me off my own street :thumbs:

Does it have any impact on steering in A mode

(No)

and is there any implications/benefits of running in A daily instead of N?

(Nope)

(I know it goes back too N at the end of every journey which is a little annoying)

(unless you get a 2013 built car and it retains previous setting)

[Edit] I just read on auto blog that Alfa has plans too change from the current FWD too RWD with its replacement cars set for 2015, I don't know how
accurate the article is but read it

(Common consensus is that's a crock of crap)

(here[/Edit]
Notes above :)

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
starting £42,60 per corner on mytyres.co.uk however I'd get a european brand starting around £70, most likely Nokian WR D3 for about £80. I checked for 205/55R16H, not 100% that's what's fitted to the Giuliettas

Imagine what a skid could cost, plus you likelyalready know that if you try to move on ice it's possible to smoke up your summertyres and still not get anywhere... my 156 2.4 didn't have any issues with getting blue smoke from the goodyear GSD3 on ice and still not moving... without a doubt those were the best summer tyres I ever had, and the worst for snow/ice

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
1. The car does not get back to N mode if you set it to A. It does only in the D mode.
2. The only impact I guess is that Q2 is activated and VDC is more intrusive. In the end it may help you to get out of the parkng lot when there's lots of snow but may also make your car not at all driveable (too much intervention from VDC and literally restraining your car to 10 BHP :).

I did have a bit of fun in snow in January at the track and I used D mode only - although you cannot perform any decent slide also - ESP comes in too early. Still, for road use I'd suggest using A on snow and also in/after the rain.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is there a traction control lights that comes on when activated? It seems I haven't seen one blinking.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
There is a yellow one AFAIR.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Try doing this ;):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It was quite okay - the problem is you cannot turn ESP completely off, so it's not as much fun as you'd expect. In those conditions, A was completely useless, as it was braking the wheels all the time. As long as it was not very tight bends, where it just tended to slide out of the track (I had Michelin Alpin A4, which are said to be very good winter tyres) it handled very well, but it was so slippery I'd need spiked tyres to be able to drive more seriously :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts