Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked and saddened at the fatal stabbing of a teenager over a pair of trainers in London's Oxford St. It was apparently a rival gang thing but even so, just awful. The lad was just 18 (a year older than my eldest) :(

D

·
0 Posts
Hate reading about these type of situations it's all a bit mad really and a waste :(

V

·
0 Posts
I heard a little about this on the clubrun today - shocking and appalling!

Was this really just about a pair of trainers? I can't believe it was that simple. But whatever the 'reason' it just beggars belief that a young man with his whole life ahead of him has been snuffed out just like that.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Many years ago a friend of mine was stabbed 7 times by a drunken idiot for the simple reason he wouldn't give him a bite of his burger.

I knew the lad who did the stabbing, had played football with him as a child and he was always a bit of a wrong un, some people are just mental and shouldnt be allowed on the streets.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was this really just about a pair of trainers? I can't believe it was that simple. But whatever the 'reason' it just beggars belief that a young man with his whole life ahead of him has been snuffed out just like that.

I think rival gangs were fighting over the trainers (although one report said they were shoplifting).

Apparently, extra police had to be brought in to deal with the 'insensed' crowds losing 'their spending spree had been interrupted' :( Wtf has this nation become?

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many years ago a friend of mine was stabbed 7 times by a drunken idiot for the simple reason he wouldn't give him a bite of his burger.

I knew the lad who did the stabbing, had played football with him as a child and he was always a bit of a wrong un, some people are just mental and shouldnt be allowed on the streets.
That's awful :(

There are some kids in my son's class at school who are completely out of control and have no boundaries set at home.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
That's it in a nutshell diva, no boundaries at home. Discipline and respect etc. Has to start somewhere.

But the loss of a life through foul play is a tragic waste and so unnecesssary. It's really come to something when it happens at the busiest time of day in the busiest street in the country. Just how low can we get?

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
I think the trainers are a bit of a red herring here. It was rival gangs fighting and one of them got stabbed. It could just as easily have been in a nightclub or a dark car park somewhere as a shoe shop. If it hadn't been on Oxford Street in the midst of the January sales, and it hadn't upset all those lovely shoppers, it would even have made the news, let alone be the leading story.

It is tragic, and I do blame the parents, but I don't doubt that the lad who got stabbed's mates have been seeking retribution ever since rather than seeing the error of their ways.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the trainers are a bit of a red herring here. It was rival gangs fighting and one of them got stabbed. It could just as easily have been in a nightclub or a dark car park somewhere as a shoe shop. If it hadn't been on Oxford Street in the midst of the January sales, and it hadn't upset all those lovely shoppers, it would even have made the news, let alone be the leading story.

It is tragic, and I do blame the parents, but I don't doubt that the lad who got stabbed's mates have been seeking retribution ever since rather than seeing the error of their ways.
They were arguing over trainers, that was made clear. It has now been confirmed that the victim was a member of a violent gang who was wanted for assault and robbery. It's still shocking.

There are members of society who live by their own rules and not the laws of the land (we saw this with the riots). Unfortunately, because of the PC state we seem to have become (mainly due to the actions of the previous Government) things seem to have spiraled even more out of control. It's time to address the issues in this country and stop being soft on criminals.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
They were arguing over trainers, that was made clear. It has now been confirmed that the victim was a member of a violent gang who was wanted for assault and robbery. It's still shocking.

There are members of society who live by their own rules and not the laws of the land (we saw this with the riots). Unfortunately, because of the PC state we seem to have become (mainly due to the actions of the previous Government) things seem to have spiraled even more out of control. It's time to address the issues in this country and stop being soft on criminals.
Working in the law enforcement / criminal justice sector, the rot set in way before the last Government following such monumental **** ups as the post Strangeways Woolfe report & so on but the tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime mantra set out by new labour was also a red herring.

K

·
0 Posts
Manchester had its fair share of gang killings in the 90s but up here they tended to skip the knives and go directly to the automatic weapons. There are still a small numbers of fatal shootings each year but much fewer than in the mid-90s. This is as a result of some very positive policing.

I stick by what I said earlier. This had sod all to do with a pair of trainers. It could just as easily have been over a Gregg's Pasty, a woman, or a parking space. It was a flashpoint for the two gangs and one of them ended up getting stabbed. It's a tragedy but the one who ended up dead could just as easily have been doing the stabbing, somebody else's mum would have got the knock on the door, and the one doing the stabbing would be bragging in the pub. It happens all the time, all over the country, and it has always happened, but it usually happens on the dark side of the street and doesn't make the news.

Because this incident spilled out onto a busy shopping street Britain is broken again.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Working in the law enforcement / criminal justice sector, the rot set in way before the last Government following such monumental **** ups as the post Strangeways Woolfe report & so on but the tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime mantra set out by new labour was also a red herring.
Good grief...... I didn't realise it was all under control until then.....

You live and learn.....

[if you read history]

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I make no apologies for the choice of newspaper I will use an article from as it sums up nicely some of the damage the previous Government did.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-49087/Tories-promise-better-school-discipline.html

Tory leader William Hague today painted a nightmare vision of what had happened to schools under Labour and pledged that a Conservative government would tackle the discipline breakdown affecting the nation's youth.

Under the Tories' "free schools" policy, headteachers would have the right to expel disruptive pupils, enforce school uniforms and forbid local authorities from overturning the decision of schools on pupil expulsions.

Launching his party's education policy at a news conference in Westminster he vowed that a Tory administration would offer "discipline, standards and choice in all our schools".

Under Labour, David Blunkett basically was the ''Headmaster of every school in the country'' and the Conservatives say it's high time the power was given back to the heads of each individual school to be run as they see fit. Unruly children were kept in the classroom in the name of ''social inclusion'' under labour. This really doesn't work. Conservatives want to remove the problem child and give them the help they need "in the name of discipline and fairness to others".

After yesterday's Conservative election broadcast with its stark portrayal of children dealing drugs on the streets because there were not enough teachers available to keep them in the classroom, Mr Hague said reform was "desperately needed''.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.