Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Whats happened to the 159 GTA version wich was going to have a Ferrari or Maserati engine.

Theres a lot of spy shots but nothing official as they are coming close to a new 159 there is no signs of a current 159 GTA

·
Registered
28 Posts
No market for these cars anymore.
Car branche is in a deep crisis and doesn't earn any money with such a niche market. Unfortunately downsizing is the new trend...
But, you can have it GTA'd by Autodelta! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
No market?

S4, RS4, M3, Lexus ISF, Passat R34, Vauxhall Vectra/Insignia VXR, Merc AMG's etc. etc.

More like Alfa have no balls!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
More like Alfa have no money. It got cancelled a while back. it would more than likely have had a turbo charged version of the v6 rather than a maserati lump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dear swanny,

Not for Alfa.
First Alfa needs to sell cars. They don't do that right now (at least not enough), so why bother making cars that will not sell in the amounts they really need.
S4's and M3's are not the cars that are sold in commercial numbers, they're to exclusive.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Dear debe, :rolleyes:

I understand WHY the 159 GTA was cancelled but feel frustrated that Alfa didn't have the balls to do it anyway. As I said above, there is a market for fast saloons.......BMW and Merc sell tens of thousands of them every year. And don't try telling me that any 159 can be compared to a 156 GTA, I've driven them:tut:

They did the 8c (which sold in tiny numbers) why not a GTA? Just go do a search in the GTA forum and see how many of us are at a loss as to what to replace our aging GTA's with.

Alfa Romeo now seems to be run by accountants and marketing men rather than engineers and enthusiasts. Likewise Alfa's seem to be bought more and more by Mr. Average company car user than by "drivers" and enthusiasts...........this is why the GTA is not happening:mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
The 8C would have sold alot more if they were to build it but I don't understand why they limit it to 500.

They spent alot of money in the research of 159 GTA why stop at the end whats gone is gone.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The 8C would have sold alot more if they were to build it but I don't understand why they limit it to 500.

They spent alot of money in the research of 159 GTA why stop at the end whats gone is gone.
I suppose keeping it so limited helps keep the price high!

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I think the truth is that whilst there may be plenty of people waiting to buy a secondhand 159GTA, the number of customers with the balls to pay in excess of 40 grand for a brand-new, medium sized Alfa saloon, are very few and far between.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if poor sales of the 159 3.2 V6 had an impact? (I'm just guessing here the 3.2 might have sold like hotcakes for all I know) :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nicely put UKMike. In fact it takes balls to buy any brand new Alfa given the media reviews, industry bias and hence high depreciation. To buy a new 159 GTA would take square balls. Hence Swanny, those that bought their Alfa new are the real enthusiasts, hardly Mr.Average. Without new alfa buyers there would be no Alfas to buy in Autotrader nor an Alfa Romeo as a going concern.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Nicely put UKMike. In fact it takes balls to buy any brand new Alfa given the media reviews, industry bias and hence high depreciation. To buy a new 159 GTA would take square balls. Hence Swanny, those that bought their Alfa new are the real enthusiasts and far from Mr.Average. If it's not for the the new alfa buyers there would be no Alfas to buy in Autotrader.
It's actually about affording the thing. I'm sure every Alfisti here would buy one if they could stretch their finances.

If you got the dosh you don't need any square balls :lol:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It might have been cancelled for other reasons ... might not have had the desired performance ... might have cost too much for people to buy and so wouldn't have sold in profitable numbers against the programme costs ... might not have past crash tests (I know of a few 'hot' vehicles from various manufacturers that got canned because they'd put a big engine up front and couldn't make it safe enough)

I was hoping for the Brera GTA that was once shown as a photograph from some powerpoint presentation

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Nicely put UKMike. In fact it takes balls to buy any brand new Alfa given the media reviews, industry bias and hence high depreciation. To buy a new 159 GTA would take square balls. Hence Swanny, those that bought their Alfa new are the real enthusiasts, hardly Mr.Average. Without new alfa buyers there would be no Alfas to buy in Autotrader nor an Alfa Romeo as a going concern.
Agree with UKMike and earthquake on this.

It's one thing to want AR to develop a 159 GTA. Quite another to actually go out and buy one new.

That's the problem AR has. Many people, and I don't blame them to a point, simply wait for Alfa's notorious rocket like depreciation to take effect and then opt in.

If more people, alfisti or otherwise bought new, I have a feeling AR would be in less of a predicament than they currently face themselves. Consequently, in all likelihood, a 159 GTA may have seen the light of day if sales were a lot better.

Vicious circle. Poor revenue = less investment = minimal R & D = narrow product range.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Vicious circle. Poor revenue = less investment = minimal R & D = narrow product range.

In which case, improve the product, sell in volume new car markets where you can make a return on investment and then when you have proved the quality and reliability are up with the "perceived" German levels you can take them on at their own game in the 3 and 5-series sector (which let's face it Audi, BM and Merc dominate and is very competitive and expensive to compete in terms of research and development and new models).

= Mito + Guiletta = prove Alfa can deliver = Fiat willing to invest = new models

Alfa has simply got to prove its worth to Fiat. At the moment its not doing that.

Having had 5 of them, including the current 3.2 159, I want them to do well. I can't wait for the 169:):thumbs:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Dear debe, :rolleyes:

And don't try telling me that any 159 can be compared to a 156 GTA, I've driven them:tut:
:
No you are right. 3.2 not as fast, but the 159 doesn't blow its diff, doesn't need upper and lower suspension arms at 25k miles, doesn't drink Selenia, doesn't ground itself due to horrific under-damping and has a chassis which is stiffer than a honeymooners d**k:)

Love the GTA right enough but the 156 is a million miles away from the 159 mon ami:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts