Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Mr. Marchionne,
I would like to congratulate you on the draft Giulia, because I think it has all the characteristics to be a major player in European and global level both commercially and stylistically. I also admit that I had doubts about my favorite brand - Alfa Romeo - was able to make such a demonstration of such an important model for the future and to bring powerful "blow" to its competitors. But let me point out that a historical company such as Alfa Romeo must in no case lose market share from a special category of models that tends to be created by Japanese automakers with rear-wheel drive motors for driving pleasure, low weight and small capacity (up to 1600 ml). The first example is the proposal of Toyota FR-S, which is basically a class the same Alfa Romeo has created with the old junior. The low cost of acquisition and maintenance of the holder of such a model, in conjunction with the unique style and driving characteristics that only Alfa Romeo can give to a car, I'm sure it would be, at least at European level, successful commercially, since young people would be keen to drive and would prefer to buy in comparison with any competitive brand, due to the advantage of the rear-wheel drive, the lightweight body and beautiful Italian design and also the low cost of purchase and use of such a vehicle. Therefore, a necessary complement to the range of Alfa Romeo would be such a car.
Yours sincerely,
sotbak

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Toyota have sold about 2 GT86s in Europe. Subaru: 1 BRZ
Scion did sell around 18K of the FR-S in the US last year though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
If the GT86 and BRZ had better styling.....or any styling for that matter.....they'd have sold by the bucket load. A coupe, above all, is about looks and they both really dropped the ball on that part.

Reactions: sotbak

·
Registered
39,613 Posts
True. If coupes sold . . The volumes are tiny. Even though more people are living alone , the sport model is there only for image purposes and sells better at three years old!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
My wife went from an GT V6 to a GT86.

A brilliant car to drive, way better than any Alfa we've owned or driven.

Great looking car too. Gets all the attention that any of our Alfa's have had.

Toyota can afford to build & sell them in small numbers as they are a successful volume seller.

Alfa aren't, sadly. The 4c is great but is a loss maker even at £50k plus.

Reactions: mash4077

·
Registered
625 Posts
Toyota have sold about 2 GT86s in Europe. Subaru: 1 BRZ
Scion did sell around 18K of the FR-S in the US last year though. :thumbs:
those three must be all on the parking of our company

3 only, really

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dear Mr. Marchionne,
I would like to congratulate you on the draft Giulia, because I think it has all the characteristics to be a major player in European and global level both commercially and stylistically. I also admit that I had doubts about my favorite brand - Alfa Romeo - was able to make such a demonstration of such an important model for the future and to bring powerful "blow" to its competitors. But let me point out that a historical company such as Alfa Romeo must in no case lose market share from a special category of models that tends to be created by Japanese automakers with rear-wheel drive motors for driving pleasure, low weight and small capacity (up to 1600 ml). The first example is the proposal of Toyota FR-S, which is basically a class the same Alfa Romeo has created with the old junior. The low cost of acquisition and maintenance of the holder of such a model, in conjunction with the unique style and driving characteristics that only Alfa Romeo can give to a car, I'm sure it would be, at least at European level, successful commercially, since young people would be keen to drive and would prefer to buy in comparison with any competitive brand, due to the advantage of the rear-wheel drive, the lightweight body and beautiful Italian design and also the low cost of purchase and use of such a vehicle. Therefore, a necessary complement to the range of Alfa Romeo would be such a car.
Yours sincerely,
sotbak
sounds like Mr marchione wrote this letter to himself

:thumbup:

Tata, one to chear you up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GVJpOmaDyU

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, excuse me for interrupting the discussion, but the argument is for Alfa Romeo to create a small front engined coupe with rear wheel drive in order to bring back the true meaning of sheer driving pleasure which for the masses should be nowdays: 1) economic-ecologic, 2) driving fun-new edge design!!!

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Many would love one. I can think
of half-a-dozen AOers right off the
top of my head.

But Alfa need a mainstream mass-market
high volume seller and, in Europe at least,
a coupe will not deliver that.

It's sad, but that's the reality at present.

Mash4077 Ha Ha. You so funny! :lol:

·
Registered
625 Posts
thank you for putting me on the the top of FCA brand!!! I will ask them to provide me with the CEO badge!!!
screw badge, what you want is this bust(ar)ds salary

then you can choose better what you want to drive

·
Registered
594 Posts
Guys, excuse me for interrupting the discussion, but the argument is for Alfa Romeo to create a small front engined coupe with rear wheel drive in order to bring back the true meaning of sheer driving pleasure which for the masses should be nowdays: 1) economic-ecologic, 2) driving fun-new edge design!!!
I genuinely believe the average person doesnt care about this anymore. They are dopes who are only interested in willy waving about hypothetical performance figures and brand snobbery. The main criticism of the GT86 by supposed car enthusiasts is that it is only 200bhp and needs more power and it costs way too much for a Toyota. Yet some of the same people will go out and buy a BMW 3 series coupe which is inferior in every way as a drivers car, has worse build quality and no standard equipment.

Its a very weird society, everything is about bragging rights. I think the logic is: "What will my followers see when I post this on instagram?" (Same goes for showing off to neighbours really) - BMW vs. Toyota as a status symbol - no contest for some reason despite BMW being the second biggest selling car in the UK.

Driving pleasure that others cant feel vs BHP figures on a spec sheet that other people can look up and go "oooh thats a fast car".

I firmly believe brand image is the deciding factor for most people when buying a car. Nothing to do with how much they actually enjoy the car. Obviously there are exceptions but they are few and far between.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Brand Image and monthly payment costs ... thats why there are so many BMWs Merc and Audis around their manipulated resale values allow lower monthly leasing costs. I'm not sure how sustainable this method of car ownership is ... I suspect the manufacturers are doing using some shady methods that will all collapse at some point ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts