Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello one and all in August this year I will have saved enough dosh to either by a late 156 or an early 159, the thing is I love the look of both so I was after the pro's and con's of each model.
I will only have about 6k to spend and it has to be a diesel due to the mileage I have to do going to and from work.

I was thinking about getting a late 156 with the 2.4 JTD 20v Multijet lump and then spending money on re-map, filter and exhaust system ( and any other mods you can recommend ) or should I get a 159 which would cost more money and keep it standard.

also how much more fun is the 2.4 v's the 1.9.

Cheers all.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The 156 is the better car. Handles better, drives better and is quicker. The 159 is better built but heavy. Your choice on the styling. The 1.9 is only good in the 156 as it's not powerful enough for the 159 due to it's weight :(. Still both good cars. Avoid anything JTS powered in both cars so that's all petrol 159's and the 2.0 jts 156. Busso power and JTD are all good mind:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I wholeheartedly disagree with Joss.

The 159 is a 90% better car and a much better long term ownership prospective!

I've owned 2 late model 156's & a 159 so I know what I'm saying.

To drive one won't give you any insight into owning one & I don't think Joss has spent any time with a 159 series car?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
The 156 is getting dated. The 159 is far better built and looks more up to date. I agree the 1.9 may seem a little sluggish but I would go for a 2.4 159, same performance as the 156 but in a better package.

Like all motors, prices have taken a dip and the 159 is stonking value now

2006 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4L JTDM Turismo 4dr Diesel Saloon

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201201439259324/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/7000/model/159/make/alfa_romeo/page/1/postcode/ct47js/quicksearch/true/radius/1501?logcode=p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks' for the input so far if I can get the 159 for under £5k that would be amazing and the 2.4JTD looks like the one to go for are these OK standard or is it better to still have the DPF removed, EGR deleted and a remap.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Lots of emissions related parts tend to go wrong on the 159 2.4, not just the DPF & egr.

The manifold & swirl valves cause issues, as can the plastic cooling system bleed valves.

With these bits fixed, you should be ok but watch the clutch & DMF if you go down a big remap route......

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I imagine a 159 is no where near as fun but for what you want it for combined with the heavy diesel engine your best off with a newer 159.

If you wanted fun, throwing it round corners you can't beat the 156. Suspension parts wear quickly though (I dont think the 159 suffers as much?).

Why not get a 1.9 159 and then remap it. when you get bored :cool:

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The 159 is the more complete car; safer, better looking (in my opinion), more solid and has that little bit of exclusivity. On the road it is more settled and does have a more sophisticated suspension. In addition since the Giulia hasn't arrived, you can still claim the 159 to be the latest saloon Alfa has.

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The 156 is getting dated. The 159 is far better built and looks more up to date. I agree the 1.9 may seem a little sluggish but I would go for a 2.4 159, same performance as the 156 but in a better package.

Like all motors, prices have taken a dip and the 159 is stonking value now

2006 Alfa Romeo 159 2.4L JTDM Turismo 4dr Diesel Saloon

2007 ALFA ROMEO 159 2.4 JTDM LUSSO 4DR FULL LEATHER

TOTALLY AGREE. 159 the only logical choice on every count. Chip it if you need to.
Hadn't realised they were getting that cheap.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I wholeheartedly disagree with Joss.

The 159 is a 90% better car and a much better long term ownership prospective!

I've owned 2 late model 156's & a 159 so I know what I'm saying.

To drive one won't give you any insight into owning one & I don't think Joss has spent any time with a 159 series car?
You are right Si, I haven't spent much time with the 159 so yes you could argue I'm biased and no I haven't owned one. With all due respect it is a well documented fact that the 159, Brera and Spider platform do not handle as well as the older vehicles. Alfa have been going backwards in terms of handling for years. The 156's aren't even as good as the 155 and similar ilk. Just look at the racing history and you can see the set ups that performed well. Don't get me wrong I love the cars looks but you can't get around that fact that, that era of cars were heavier which is what lets them down for me and why I don't want to own one. Alfa fails with the JTS engines too. there is no getting round the fact that the engines are better in other applications before alfa tried to put there own spin with the quad phaser technology. Saabs Turbo X car with a turbo'd version of the same 3.2 engine with different heads is far superior and as for the 2.2 with it's cam chain that stretchs. Come on. How hard would it have been to run a duplex chain which would have solved the problem that that engine suffers from. Alfa dropped the ball and it shows through sales figures alone . My opinion of course mate and I mean no disrespect to your 159 ownership :)

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
If you wanted fun, throwing it round corners you can't beat the 156. Suspension parts wear quickly though (I dont think the 159 suffers as much?).
Suspension parts last a lot longer on the 159 but they are about 3 x more expensive, so try and buy one thats already had it all done or you'll be in for a big outlay.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Can I ask why you're not considering the GT Jtd? Similar money as a 159 and with better handling and possibly IMHO looks. Bigger inside than you may think, and if you drop the rear seats a HUGE amount of space. The 1.9 diesel is pretty torquey and can be remapped for around £250 to give another 40bhp. Nice equipment too.
Of course if its to carry 2-3 larger kids around in the back regularly then maybe not.
Just a suggestion!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Vendor
45,826 Posts
159. Safer and built better.
If we were that bothered about safety & build quality all us 156/147/GT owners would chop in for a 10 year old 5-series if we couldn't afford 159s.. I can't understand choosing between a 156 & 159 on that basis. I would just go with whichever one I prefer the drive of, for me thats a 'sorted' 156.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
If we were that bothered about safety & build quality all us 156/147/GT owners would chop in for a 10 year old 5-series if we couldn't afford 159s.. I can't understand choosing between a 156 & 159 on that basis. I would just go with whichever one I prefer the drive of, for me thats a 'sorted' 156.
Dan.....nail on head:thumbs:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Dan.....nail on head:thumbs:
Shhh I want to keep all the GT 156 and 147's for me :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts