Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

picked my 147 up from the garage a week ago having had cambelt failure fixed and as a result i have a concern...

It has always used plenty of oil (10W40 - Castrol GTX), but in the last week it has gone from being at the top mark, to almost at the min level. I do mainly motorway miles and have been VERY careful this week (low revs etc) so am a bit worried.

The garage said they put 5W30 fully synth oil in her (is this okay?)
Should I expect it to use this much while she runs in?

If it's not, do I need an oil change and to put 10W40 in or can I just top up with what I used to use??
Sorry for all the Q's, just not sure how urgently I may have to so something!!

M

·
0 Posts
Well I think that 5w30 is thinner than 10w40 so that could explain why:) What engine size is your 147?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2.0, the other thing is it seems to have a white ish coloured 'smoke/vapour' thing happening when I start her up.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
5/30 is way to thin unless you live in the Artic. Try Selenia Racing or a similar, 10/60 fully synthetic oil.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did around 300 miles last week.

Is the 10W40 that I've been using okay?

Can I top it up with this or do I need to change the oil etc?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If its always used a lot of oil 5w30 is quite thin and it will use more than normal.
10w40 semi synth is the recommended oil or 10w60 fully synth if you are a bit enthusiastic in your driving. Should be ok to top up with the oil you`ve been using.
Smoke on startup could just be bedding in, but i think it normally points to worn valve guides, normally this would be a blueish colour, but excessive oil being burned can put out whiteish smoke, you really need to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Maverick,

I read somewhere that you should use 5/30 while running an engine in, does this sound right? something about there needing to be a certain amount of friction at this stage??

I think I had new valve guides while having it fixed last week so shouldn;t be them - pretty sure it's whiteish smoke.

I think I'll just top up with the 10/40 and keep my eyes peeled.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You could have a word with the garage that did the work and see what they say. I used 5w30 in mine no problem and had to top up very little between changes, at the moment i`ve got 10w60 in and not had to top up at all in 5000 miles.

·
Registered
662 Posts
dunno about topping up with different rated oils, have you been checking it at teh same time each time? ie. completely cold/well warmed?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean about not mixing oils, it does concern me a bit but as you say, any oil is better than none.

I'll top up with the 10/40 for a week or so and see how it goes. I think I'll consider having the oil changed and having the 10/60 fully synthetic sometime soon - unless anyone shouts not too!

S

·
0 Posts
5w 30 is too thin by miles, Alfa engines are not the tightest on tolerances, so they do use oil more than many, especially when driven hard. In the winter, a 10w40 is fine, I had a V6 155 many years ago which I fed on 15w 40 magnatec in the summer and 10w 40 in the winter, this didn't affect performance but reduced oil use greatly. I currently us 10w 40 magnatec on my 2.0 156 Sele and it uses no oil from change to change (8000 miles)

The oil use rate is affected by how the engine is run in. Heard reports that if thrashed from new the oil use is much lower than if used gently. Remember reading an article some time ago which suggested that BMW engines use a really poor oil for first 1000 miles or so to help the engine settle then changed to proper spec at 1st service! Don't know how true that is though.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
I have a small problem with oil use of a different kind and I put this down to 5/40. After a engine rebuild of which there was no evidence of leaks before hand, the engine has a small leak at both ends of the crankshaft now which has improved slightly since running it, but I will be monitoring it closely and may change it back to 10/40 eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts